OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: New Broadcom BCM63xx codebase with GPL'd Ethernet and USB support

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello all,

following my post a few days ago ,regarding assembling Serial port to my ASUS am604g
here are my conclutions :
1) a working diagram can be found at http://sodoityourself.com/max232-serial-level-converter
    just note that NOT as seen in the picture - the capacitors SHOULD be polarised (Electrolytic).
2) the rear 6-pin connector is mapped as
    X    X    G
   Tx   Vc   Rx

working great
regards
avishay

(Last edited by avico on 4 Mar 2009, 20:06)

Hi all,
when I apply the patch (fix_alignment2.patch) to last trunk 14746 I get this error :

misteroX@ubuntu8:/working2/openwrt/dg834gt/14746$ patch -p0 < fix_alignment2.patch
patching file target/linux/brcm63xx/files/include/asm-mips/mach-bcm63xx/bcm_tag.h
patching file target/linux/brcm63xx/files/arch/mips/bcm63xx/boards/board_bcm963xx.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 206 with fuzz 2 (offset 46 lines).
Hunk #2 FAILED at 298.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file target/linux/brcm63xx/files/arch/mips/bcm63xx/boards/board_bcm963xx.c.rej
patching file target/linux/brcm63xx/files/drivers/mtd/maps/bcm963xx-flash.c
Hunk #3 FAILED at 199.
1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file target/linux/brcm63xx/files/drivers/mtd/maps/bcm963xx-flash.c.rej
patching file target/linux/brcm63xx/image/Makefile
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n]
Apply anyway? [n] y
Hunk #1 succeeded at 53 with fuzz 1 (offset 8 lines).
Hunk #2 FAILED at 102.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file target/linux/brcm63xx/image/Makefile.rej
patching file scripts/brcmImage.pl

Is part of a fix already present in last trunk?

At compile time I get the following error :

CC      arch/mips/bcm63xx/dev-enet.o
  CC      arch/mips/bcm63xx/dev-wdt.o
  CC      arch/mips/bcm63xx/early_printk.o
  CC      arch/mips/bcm63xx/boards/board_bcm963xx.o
arch/mips/bcm63xx/boards/board_bcm963xx.c:209: error: redefinition of 'board_DV201AMR'
arch/mips/bcm63xx/boards/board_bcm963xx.c:164: error: previous definition of 'board_DV201AMR' was here
make[7]: *** [arch/mips/bcm63xx/boards/board_bcm963xx.o] Error 1
make[6]: *** [arch/mips/bcm63xx/boards] Error 2
make[5]: *** [arch/mips/bcm63xx] Error 2
make[5]: Leaving directory `/working2/openwrt/dg834gt/14746/build_dir/linux-brcm63xx/linux-2.6.27.19'
make[4]: *** [/working2/openwrt/dg834gt/14746/build_dir/linux-brcm63xx/linux-2.6.27.19/.image] Error 2
make[4]: Leaving directory `/working2/openwrt/dg834gt/14746/target/linux/brcm63xx'
make[3]: *** [install] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/working2/openwrt/dg834gt/14746/target/linux'
make[2]: *** [target/linux/install] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/working2/openwrt/dg834gt/14746'
make[1]: *** [/working2/openwrt/dg834gt/14746/staging_dir/target-mips_uClibc-0.9.29/stamp/.target_install] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/working2/openwrt/dg834gt/14746'
make: *** [world] Error 2

With trunk 14253 I had not  this problem on my DG834GT.
Makefile has these changes :target/linux/brcm63xx/image/Makefile

# DG834GT
        $(call Image/Build/CFEOLD,$(1),96348GW-10,6348)

How can I do?

Thanks

MisteroX

@marca56:  I'm not quite sure what you are asking.  If you mean that OpenWRT doesn't currently support your board then I'm not the one to ask as I have no idea.  If you're asking for help with board that can boot a kernel+ramdisk kamikaze then I can help.

Dan:

I can boot the board just fine with images built from the trunk using the serial port. The board type is BCM96348GW-10. All the peripherals work, including a second onboard flash, BCM4318 WLAN, and the BCM5325E (although since the MDI port not connected, we cannot control the QoS or setup VLANs with it). Florian is even working on the SPI and GPIO drivers because there are some other peripherals attached on that bus.

What I can't do, right now, is load the firmware image from the web user interface. For remote support of our users, we need to do be able to do that.

I hope you can help.

By the way, I bricked a board last week and using your tools, was able to restore it successfully. Thanks.

marc.

@marca56:

1) Okay, when you say load via the web interface do you mean after reflashing with kamikaze or before?

2) Since you likely mean before because you want to add kamikaze: Can you can the manufacturer's firmware source code?  I could read that and see if they include their web interface checksumming so that I can do the right thing in imagetag.

I unfortunately have a board for which the manufacturer doesn't provide source code to end users (anyone got source for a ComTrend CT-5261 or similar board?), so I haven't been able to do that with my own board.

Hello everybody.

I have got Linksys WAG 54gs, based on Broadcom 6348. Current firmware seems to be to simple and I really lack couple features, namely ssh and dnsmasq.
I use linux on daily basis, know how to use make  and can code in C a little bit.

So question is -- is there any chance to get this router run openwrt?

Dan:

1. Yes, for before; after is something that we'll have to work on with Jo on the LuCI stuff;
2. I just sent you a PM to get your correct email address for the firmware.

marc.

cshore wrote:

I unfortunately have a board for which the manufacturer doesn't provide source code to end users (anyone got source for a ComTrend CT-5261 or similar board?), so I haven't been able to do that with my own board.

as i can see at http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … ryBCM63xx) your board is same as mine (Comtrend 536), but without Mini PCI slot soldered.

I have stock firmware sources for it (about 100MB each). Any part are of your interest?

Dear Brother:
                    Who can offer me a source code of CFE for BCM6348 or BCM6358 ? Email:jiangchuan_s@163.com
Thanks very much.

I make a mistake in last post, i have "sources" from manufacturer this includes:

* sources from opensources
* and binaries from broadcom specifics.

CFE files included in "sources" are of course binary files, also ADSL drivers are binary files.

@t3l3m4k0:
   That's exactly what I'm looking for.  Please email me: cshore@brucetelecom.com.   I just want to modify imagetag to load firmware images from the stock web interface, which is a lot more likely to happen if I can see what they are doing.

Now as we're all saying, if only broadcom released sources too....

@florian:

Does any hex editing need to be done on them for them to use recognize the switch/ethernet?  I got a message in that respect (sorry it was a while ago, and my stock CFE is working fine so it's low on the todo list).

cshore wrote:

@t3l3m4k0:
   That's exactly what I'm looking for.  Please email me: cshore@brucetelecom.com.   I just want to modify imagetag to load firmware images from the stock web interface, which is a lot more likely to happen if I can see what they are doing.

Now as we're all saying, if only broadcom released sources too....

@florian:

Does any hex editing need to be done on them for them to use recognize the switch/ethernet?  I got a message in that respect (sorry it was a while ago, and my stock CFE is working fine so it's low on the todo list).

With lasts patches, switch/ethernet, is directly recognized in my 96348GW-11 board. Thx Florian_

@ cshore,
what file do you want?. If you specify I will send you.

@t3l3m4k0:

I don't know the comtrend source code (yet) so I don't know where what I am looking for is.  Do you have any way of hosting it somewhere for a coup-le days so I can download it?

@florian:

Sorry, I meant for the CFE's you mentioned.  I have, however, just tried out the new SVN with the latest switch patches and they work great.  Thanks!

@all:

Has anyone got USB working with current SVN?  I tried the USB mod but I think my attempt wrecked the USB host, but I can't tell because the host is recognized, but I still get no effect when plug a flash drive into the usb host port.

@florian:

Is there any chance of getting the usb slave device working (i.e. so the router can be plugged into a computer or such via usb, and will look (at least to a linux computer) like an ethernet device)?

Thanks t3l3m4k0!

I've got the files and checked out the links.  Now I just need some time to solder and go through code.

martonmiklos wrote:

I think the host and the slave port's data lines are separated phisically, but I am not sure in it.
According to the product brief overview picture, it should be in this way.
In this case, I think the host data lines are not wired out, but it is not 100%.

BTW. If it possible please send me a picture of your board.

Best regards,
Márton Miklós

http://extremeoutput.googlepages.com/IMGP2082.jpg

Hi Márton,

Sorry for the late reply. Here is the board image of mine, you can see that it has only a slave USB on the top. Any hint of modding this board to support host USB?

I just added preliminary support for BCM6345 with changeset 14953 which should hopefully let you get a shell on the device. The Ethernet MAC on the BCM6345 is different from the one in the BCM6338/6348/6358 so we will have to wait a bit before fully supporting it. Enjoy !

Hi all. I've got D-Link DSL-2650U/BRU/D, based on Broadcom 6358 and would like to run openwrt on it. Has anybody tried to do the same?

Hej!

I tried to run the new 6345 code on my SE515 with with patches from the mcbachmann site for the image building. So far no luck. Booting hangs right here:

Auto run second count down(before hit space key): 0                             
Code Address: 0x80010000, Entry Address: 0x80010000                             
Decompression OK!                                                               
Entry at 0x80010000                                                             
Starting program at 0x80010000

I also added a profile (to the best of my understanding) to board_bcm963xx.c ...
which didn't do any difference.
Any suggestions?

PS: Was the same behaviour when I recently tried to run the new code (before understanding that there was no 6345 support)...so maybe there is still something missing/6348 code at some places?

Regards,
Roman

Hi florian_

I have a Pirelli gate voip 2+ wi-fi
I have flashed it with r15010 and it works.

I hava also installed the packages for the usb:

kmod-fs-vfat
kmod-nls-base
kmod-scsi-core
kmod-scsi-generic
kmod-usb-core
kmod-usb-storage
kmod-usb2

But when i try to connect to the usb my pendrive... it does not mount it

What's wrong?
Do you have a working version?

Thank you

@ ramponis,
with permision of Florian_,

you must also install:
nls_cp437 and nls_iso8859_1

(Last edited by t3l3m4k0 on 2 Apr 2009, 15:35)

ramponis wrote:

Hi florian_

I have a Pirelli gate voip 2+ wi-fi
I have flashed it with r15010 and it works.

I hava also installed the packages for the usb:

kmod-fs-vfat
kmod-nls-base
kmod-scsi-core
kmod-scsi-generic
kmod-usb-core
kmod-usb-storage
kmod-usb2

But when i try to connect to the usb my pendrive... it does not mount it

What's wrong?
Do you have a working version?

Thank you

Hi,

i friend of mine have the same modem, it seems that there are some problem with the usb2, in his case he get an over current error, take a look at the log (dmesg) when you insert a flash key for example.

He "solved" using only usb 1, not loading the usb2 (ehci) module.

Ramponis:

If you want an ext2 or ext3, then you need to include it in the kernel under file systems. The advantage is that it's case sensitive and if you try to install or run Linux programs or modules from the flash, it will work. If you do include ext2 or ext3, you won't need the nls stuff, but I would recommend e2fsprog to format and maintain the drive, at least as a module.

marc.

I think there was an issue loading the EHCI modules with CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT set. This should be fixed with [15020] and should now make ehci work as well on brcm6358.