OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Asus WL-500gP / Atheros TL-WN660G / Kamikaze 8.09_RC1 / bad reception

The content of this topic has been archived between 31 Mar 2018 and 4 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Perhaps this is the problem with the disconnections.

The version of the kernel.

https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/4169

I have good signal but too many disconnections.

Same problem here. I tried a cheap TP-Link Atheros Card and a not-so-cheap one by Compex. Wifi connections are extremely unreliable or not possible at all. No obvious error messages in the logs. Also tried diversity on/off and antenna connected to either main or aux port.

Now I switched back to Kamikaze 7.09 and it works perfectly.

Hello. Any updates on this thing?
I confirm the weak signal on my Asus WL-500gP v1 with TL-WN660G running Kamikaze 8.09 RC1.

Hi there,

I didn't have much time to play around with the router lately. The second antenna made it possible to get at least some reception a few meters away, but it's still far from being as it should be.
I plan to try out a recent svn version again and maybe RC_1 with the 2.4 kernel...

Cheers,
Hol9000

I'm also using a similar setup with a TP-LINK WN562-AG and I don't see any speed issues. I'm seeing around 2-2.5 mb/sec copy rates a few meters away.

I do see some stability issues though on 8.09... sometimes packets drop for 5-10 seconds. Nothing in, nothing out, even though the laptop shows a stable signal.

I am now testing with 7.09 to see if there are any changes...

mcfly9 wrote:

I'm also using a similar setup with a TP-LINK WN562-AG and I don't see any speed issues. I'm seeing around 2-2.5 mb/sec copy rates a few meters away.

I do see some stability issues though on 8.09... sometimes packets drop for 5-10 seconds. Nothing in, nothing out, even though the laptop shows a stable signal.

I am now testing with 7.09 to see if there are any changes...

And You are using 2.4 or 2.6 kernel?

I'm experiencing the same... Very bad signal strength with an WL500-gP original setup. Before, I was running on Kamikaze 7.09 with a very good reception. When I re-flashed to 8.09_RC1 using the 2.4 kernel my signal performance dropped by ~23dBm. Tomorrow I will revert back to 7.09 and compare the signal strength with the current.

casio wrote:

I'm experiencing the same... Very bad signal strength with an WL500-gP original setup. Before, I was running on Kamikaze 7.09 with a very good reception. When I re-flashed to 8.09_RC1 using the 2.4 kernel my signal performance dropped by ~23dBm. Tomorrow I will revert back to 7.09 and compare the signal strength with the current.

I tried 8.09_RC1 2.6 kernel and same issue. This means that the problem not depends the 2.4 or 2.6. The problem is in 8.09_RC1 .

I also tried the kernel 2.4 RC_1 as well and as well still have bad reception (although there is an antenna attached to AUX and one to MAIN, so it's probably not an (unwanted and not configured) diversity problem.
I don't really know what to write in a ticket - the problem seems to be quite fuzzy to me. But it would be probably be useful to write one, so maybe the problem can be resolved and RC 2 will work better.

For now in my case it's the following:
- bad reception for atheros minipci card for kernel 2.4 and 2.6
- differing parameters in 'uci show wireless' and corresponding entries in /proc/sys/dev/wifi0/ and /proc/sys/dev/ath/.

Anything more that should be added here?

Cheers,
hol9000

I have the same bad reception issue with WL500G premium with atheros 5212 radio. I have two antennas and tried to configure all combinations of rx_antenna, tx_antenna and diversity settings.

The issue appears in 8.09 RC1 and latest snapshots no matter whether I use 2.4 or 2.6 kernel. Only downgrade to 7.09 helps.

I have the same problem with my asus wl-500gP and a Atheros TL-WN660G.
But dows anyone tried the reception rate without wpa or with hostap insteed of hostap-mini?

root@OpenWrt:/# uci show wireless
wireless.wifi0=wifi-device
wireless.wifi0.type=atheros
wireless.wifi0.disabled=0
wireless.wifi0.channel=5
wireless.wifi0.diversity=0
wireless.wifi0.txantenna=1
wireless.wifi0.rxantenna=1
wireless.@wifi-iface[0]=wifi-iface
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].device=wifi0
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].network=lan
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].mode=ap
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].ssid=OpenWrt
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].encryption=none
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].wmm=0
wireless.@wifi-iface[0].bgscan=0

i use that config and i haven't any disconection problems.

8.09 RC2 released. Maybe fixed the wifi stability problem. Anybody can test it?

(Last edited by LaySoft on 24 Jan 2009, 13:40)

If it helps somebody, I undergo a stability test of original WL-500gP v1 broadcom WiFi for now in RC2 comparing to RC1, random disconnects after few hours are gone, WiFi speed is satisfactionary at 1400kB/s (WPA2-PSK AES), so my recent urge for replacing original adapter with atheros seems to be dissolved.

(Last edited by too on 24 Jan 2009, 23:03)

I assume that u are using an 2.6 kernel.

I'm testing 8.09rc2 with 2.6 kernel and an ateros TL-WN660G. Reception is good, but sometimes I got "Stuck beacon; resetting" messages in dmesg (Kernel logs).

(Last edited by Zigulle on 25 Jan 2009, 18:10)

I have stability problem with Asus WL-500gpV1 and Atheros minipci card AR5005G (Kamikaze 8.09_RC1). I hope RC2 will solve my problems.

yesterday I tried 8.09_RC2 on my Asus 500G v1 with Atheros card. The problem with bad reception persists. The client reports signal quality less than 20% after upgrade.

I had to rollback to 7.09...

mpe wrote:

yesterday I tried 8.09_RC2 on my Asus 500G v1 with Atheros card. The problem with bad reception persists. The client reports signal quality less than 20% after upgrade.

You are using 2.4 or 2.6 kernel?

LaySoft wrote:
mpe wrote:

You are using 2.4 or 2.6 kernel?

I tried both

Believe or not I have found the solution.

My problem disappeared after I disabled softled feature via sys interface

sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=0

Any idea what is wrong with that?

Hi, I have the same problem with BCM6348 board and 5005G miniPCI card, speed measured  with iperf was only 2,7Mbit/s.
Disabling softled solved this problem, thanks!

Hi again,

after a lot of test, I still have the big problem of the

wifi0: ath_bstuck_tasklet: Stuck beacon; resetting (beacon miss count: 11)

after a while, I have to reboot my wl-500gP because I can not connect per wifi anymore.

any hints?

Wonderfull !!
After sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=0 the reception is very good on Asus WL-500gpV1 and atheros mini pci card with Kamikaez 8.09_RC2 release.
I can kick off the 15 metres cable accross my house  !!! (sorry for my poor english)

Hello,
I have the same problem, because I have a Asus WL-500gpV1 with TL-WN560G mini-pci card.

The command improve my reception form -55 dBm to -39 dBm.
But I think "sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=2" is also possible.

sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=0    softled and LED is always off
sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=1    This is the default. LED keeps staying ON (no blinking at all!) when device athX is in status "up",
                                                and LED is off when device athX is     "down".
sysctl -w dev.wifi0.softled=2    LED blinks when device athX is "up" and transmitting or receiving data.
                                                LED is off when device athX is "down" or madwifi module is unloaded.

I modified my wirless-config-file (/etc/config/wireless), because the /lib/wifi/madwifi.sh skript change the value automatically .

config 'wifi-device'     'wifi0'
    option 'type'     'atheros'
    option 'channel'     '5'
    option softled    '0'       <----- 

config 'wifi-iface'
    option 'device'     'wifi0'
    option 'network'     'lan'

Some Links:
http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/UserDocs/EnableLEDs
http://madwifi-project.org/ticket/1223
http://madwifi-project.org/ticket/1018

(Last edited by chris1982 on 31 Jan 2009, 17:45)

Now, with my Wl500gpV1 and my atheros card with Kamikaze 8.09_RC2 i have good signal BUT many déconnexion..... sniff
I will try the ath5k driver but i don't think il will be better.

EDIT : i will tweak the atheros option before using ath5k. (bgscan and bursting option for example). What do you think about my /etc/config/wireless ?

config 'wifi-device' 'wifi0'
        option 'type' 'atheros'
        option 'disabled' '0'
        option 'agmode' '11g'
        option 'channel' '1'
        option 'hwmode' '11g'
        option 'diversity' '0'
        option 'softled' '0'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'wifi0'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' 'leschenes'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'encryption' 'psk2'
        option 'rate' '54M'
        option 'key' 'maClefSecrete'
        option 'txpower' '16'
        option 'bursting' '1'
        option 'bgscan' '0'

EDIT : I can see my openwrt  rebooting himself .....

(Last edited by raph_quiroule on 3 Feb 2009, 14:43)