OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWrt on the Netgear WNR854T?

The content of this topic has been archived on 10 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

Because of gettting a fast internet connection now, I plan to buy a new router. I found the Netgear WNR854T with his four gbit lan-ports and wlan 802.11n. My question is now if I can use OpenWrt on this router? I already downloaded the firmware sources, but as a programming novice I can´t make head or tail of it.

Thanks in advance,
Menreth

it isn't announced yet, but it's WIP smile

Good news! Do you have any idea when it`s ready for productive use?

Nope, it will be quite some time due to the lack of time sad

Were you able to spend some time on getting OpenWRT running on this router? It would be nice to know if t will work in the near future.

greetz
skara

I saw that there were patches submitted in June to provide preliminary support for OpenWRT on the Netgear WNR854T.  Will we see support for this in the Kamikaze 8.08 at the end of August?

Alternatively, if I do a SVN pull of the code now, should I be able to build a working image for this device?

Thanks!

Trunk builds working images (both for web-upgrade and normal upgrade) for the WNR854T now, but we have no driver for the switch and wifi.. If the first issue is solved before release time, the orion port can be part of 8.08.

Yep I got the image to build.  I just bought one of these routers for a very good price, excited about using it.  As a non-programmer, what can I do to help test or get these features working?

Nothing really smile Let's hope the switch driver will be ready soon, and until there's a linux driver for the wifi, one cna change the card to an atheros for example.

How easy or difficult would it be to switch the wireless card in the WNR854T?  Is that something that just pops out like a miniPCI card or does it require soldering?  I just got this unit, had not thought of disassembling it yet. smile

It's a minipci card smile

has there been any progress towards getting openwrt to work on this router?

(Last edited by chrismetalrock on 29 Sep 2008, 02:04)

How are things going with the GPL driver efforts for the Marvell switch and WLAN?
Thanks in advance for all your efforts! I'm looking forward to eventually running OpenWRT on this router smile

Lennert has submitted patches for the Marvell 88E6??? series of gigabit switches.  THANK YOU, LENNERT!! big_smile

Can we move or copy this topic to the Kamikaze forum, since Linux 2.6 and Kamikaze are more appropriate for this hardware?  Thanks. smile

Moved, and stay tuned for switch support smile

Many gracious thanks!!

For the Marvell chipset overheating problem, I suggest a 25mm (1-inch) 5VDC miniature cooling fan.  It tucks inside the WNR854T very nicely.  These are available as surplus items from All Electronics (http://allelectronics.com/) and are also commonly used in R/C (radio controlled) miniature cars.

...bump... staying tuned in wink

... bump # 2 ... (Just trying to keep this topic in the first five or six pages of the forum!)

I'll commit the switch support tomorrow.

Thank You, Kaloz!!! big_smile big_smile big_smile

(Last edited by KeithB on 8 Dec 2008, 02:35)

Decided to postpone it 'til weekend, and do it with a 2.6.28-rc upgrade wink

Well, went on and commited it. Port 2 (iirc) won't work for the same reason port 4 doesn't work on the wnr350n v2.

Thank you for the news.  Since it's the same switch chip, I definitely understand.

What PC-card wireless do you recommend for replacing the Marvell default card?

I would prefer a Broadcom wireless-N card, but an Atheros N card would be acceptable.

Broadcom wouldn't work at all, the atheros N cards isn't stable yet.. If you need stability, go for a non-N atheros card and use madwifi, if you want 11n and can live with being on the bleeding edge, go for atheros 11n.

There actually is an oepn driver for the TopDog parts already, though it's based on an old 2006 version of the net80211 stack that doesn't build any more.  That's pretty fixable though by looking at the changes that madwifi has applied in the past and applying them to this code.  Marvell released the code in 2007 to John Linville but there's hasn't been enough time yet to port it over to mac80211 (which is something I keep meaning to do).

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/g … rvl-2.6.18

Maybe somebody could at least verify that it can load the firmware to the card.

The discussion might have continued from here.