OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: New OpenWrt Kamikaze Release in August

The content of this topic has been archived on 26 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

It has been quite a while since OpenWrt had a new Kamikaze release. The
developer team has decided that it is time to get things straight and
focus on a new release. This release have the official name: OpenWrt
Kamikaze 808 Release.

The schedule will look like this:

*Last day in July - final release candidate: 808 RC-1
808 RC-1 will be a feature freeze, and all changes after this point will
be bug fixes.

*Last day in August - final release: OpenWrt Kamikaze 808 Release.

OpenWrt Kamikaze 808 Release will focus on bringing the following:

- Firewall rewrite
- Broadcom 47xx running reliably with the new Kernel, not including wifi
- IMQ and Traffic shaping tested with newer kernels, especially 2.6.25
- Sysupgrade for more platforms (x86 is tested again)
- The new web interface (LuCI, Lua Configuration Interface)
- Attention towards the integration of security updates
- Package maintaining and updates between releases
- Testing, testing and lots of testing...

The 808 Release will also include support for several new platforms/targets.

Added to this there will be a need to discuss, and find solutions towards,
how best to solve the 'patch submission process', work on updating the existing
Kamikaze documentation - and finally anyone should feel free to comment and
suggest.

It is the hope of the OpenWrt developer-group that all users and members
in one way or other will take part in the practical work which will lead
to the OpenWrt Kamikaze Release 808.

WIP-Day in June, July and August will focus on the upcoming 808 Release,
so join #openwrt-devel at UTC 12:00 on the last saturday in the
following months.

Sincerely
and on behalf of the

The OpenWrt Team

This is absolutely great news guys!!! Looking forward & thanks for doing great job!

LuCI and X-Wrt are closely related to each other, and in this way not competitors. There is an overlap between the people work on these webif's - and it is the intention that LuCI will become the base/default webif  framework for OpenWrt Kamikaze.
:-)

Is there any info about new hardware support? I'd like to see the wrt600n supported and am wondering about it.

Well it's not that clear when you read the roadmap.

glp wrote:

Does this mean it still won't support wireless on my wl-500gp using the new kernel? I thought the open source drivers were almost stable by now...

napierzaza wrote:

Is there any info about new hardware support? I'd like to see the wrt600n supported and am wondering about it.

Without the physical hardware we have to rely on patches from users to add support for new devices.  Assuming the wrt600n is a wrt350n v1 with a second miniPCI slot most development efforts for the wrt350n will apply to the wrt600n.  A gigabit switch driver was committed recently, but I don't know what the status of it is.  Feel free to send patches adding support or send hardware so we can add support.

thomasw wrote:
glp wrote:

Does this mean it still won't support wireless on my wl-500gp using the new kernel? I thought the open source drivers were almost stable by now...

They are getting fairly stable upstream in managed mode (STA), master mode (AP) isn't as far along. If you want functioning wireless on a 2.6 kernel you will have to slap an atheros card in that wl-500gp

Bartman007 wrote:

They are getting fairly stable upstream in managed mode (STA), master mode (AP) isn't as far along. If you want functioning wireless on a 2.6 kernel you will have to slap an atheros card in that wl-500gp

What a bummer sad I already tried installing an atheros card, but last time I tried I didn't have much success at all...very bad signal, wpa disconnects after a while and the router running out of memory... http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=14081

Will luci be a package or part of the base system?
Will CLI be available for the hardcore purists, like myself, I should say?

Will new release include new Madwifi drivers for Atheros ?

Any news on this?

It will get there when it's ready. If you want it now you can always use the trunk.

Inclusion of latest Madwifi drivers for atheros would be a great ..

Our version of Madwifi (which I'm maintaining) is reported by several people to be more stable and faster than the one in madwifi trunk.

nbd wrote:

Our version of Madwifi (which I'm maintaining) is reported by several people to be more stable and faster than the one in madwifi trunk.

I can confirm this.

The discussion might have continued from here.