OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Broadcom BSSID Partitioning in mesh networks

The content of this topic has been archived on 27 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I've got a Routerboard RB133 running kamikaze r10366, a linksys WRT54G running kamikaze 7.09 and an Asus WL-500gP running 7.09 all with OLSR 0.5.5.

Everything seems to ticking along just fine except I am running into the infamous BSSID partitioning problem with the Asus and Linksys as they have Broadcom chipsets.  Whenever I boot them they choose a bssid that is different from what is specified in the /etc/config/wireless file. The RB133 has an Atheros card that seems to obey the BSSID setting in /etc/config/wireless.

I thought that this problem had been fixed in 2006, even on broadcom. Perhaps the fix in the freifunk firmware not brought into OpenWRT as well?

The BSSID partioning problem is described here and here.

It appears to have been fixed for Atheros with the 'madwifi' driver here.
It appears to have been fixed in 'Whiterussian' here

Has anyone succeeded in using Kamikaze with OLSR on broadcom?
Thanks for your help, -C

You don't mention which kernel you're running.  If you're running 2.6 with the experimental b43 driver, this has been fixed upstream on 16 Feb 2008, but not imported into OpenWRT yet.

--Juliusz

Hi Juluis, thanks for the reply.

The Linksys is running 2.4.34 and the Asus is 2.4 as well as I thought 2.6 wasn't working with wireless just yet.

Since I've started to ask around about this I've come across people saying they use iwpriv to force the bssid but that doesn't seem to work for me either as iwpriv gives me "no private ioctls" message for wl0.

-C

I am experiencing the same problem. I have tried using iwconfig, wl and wlc, tried porting the patch from whiterussian but it had no effect. BSSID is just randomly generated and the driver seems to be ignoring set bssid stuff for adhoc networks. The latest (4.150) broadcom drivers added support for multiple bssid configuration, but I have yet to make it set a single bssid in adhoc mode.

I think I am going to get around this by basing my mesh nodes on atheros cards, voluntarily buying a bunch of broadcom hardware seems like it would be signing myself up for years of frustration.

The discussion might have continued from here.