OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: ppp pty problem@OpenWRT

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello!
I'm trying to use pptp for creating persistent VPN client-mode connetion on WhiteRussian 0.9
Everything seems to run just fine, except one condition:

When remote point denies connection(remote AAA service is down, or anything else), pppd prints what "Authentication failed", then sleeps a while and tries to establish new connection using new pty!
i.e. first time it uses /dev/pts/0, second - /dev/pts/1, etc, etc, till the /dev/pts/255
after that point router becomes unreachable from ssh connection, and only way to breing it to work - reboot.

my pptp options are:
root@rud-76:/etc/ppp/peers# cat /etc/ppp/options.pptp
debug
idle 0
defaultroute
maxfail 0
persist
noipdefault

Any ideas?

i have had similar issues, i would be interested to know how to fix! when the link between me and server dies (ie my adsl goes down), then when adsl is back up and the pptd connection tries to reastablish but most of the time it fails with the issue you mentioned.

(Last edited by g18c on 6 Jul 2007, 11:58)

g18c: I didn't find a solution up to now:(
Only a workaround: If you do
>ifdown wan
>ifup wan
then pppd starts counting pts'es with 0:)
I'm thinking about writing a script to do it in a cron job.

maxx wrote:

g18c: I didn't find a solution up to now:(
Only a workaround: If you do
>ifdown wan
>ifup wan
then pppd starts counting pts'es with 0:)
I'm thinking about writing a script to do it in a cron job.

yeah, the method of pulling the power is a lot easier than going into the console! it would be nice if it done it automatically and just worked sad maybe could run a script in the background which done that as you mentioned, as a kind of watchdog. i have been lookign at openVPN instead im hoping that will be a bit more bug free. If you have any experience with OpenVPN client on OpenWrt or L2TP client i would love to hear from you in my thread in this same forum smile

Cheers

The discussion might have continued from here.