OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: sending data to amazon S3

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have a WRTSL54GS running Kamikaze, and I'd like to perform daily backups from my workstation to a disk connected to my router, and then have the router sync the backup to Amazon S3 on a weekly basis. What's the best tool to perform the sync to S3? I tried using s3sync.rb, but it had too many ruby dependencies.

Is there a way to build ruby with more libraries? This would clear up most of the dependencies.

You could try www.timkay.com/aws which requires perl and curl.  It's not an rsync-alike, though, not much beyond a wrapper to the fundamental S3 operations.

Why not just have your workstation do the backup to S3 on every 5th day (or after every daily backup more than five days after the last offsite backup).

Roy

rhashimoto wrote:

You could try www.timkay.com/aws which requires perl and curl.  It's not an rsync-alike, though, not much beyond a wrapper to the fundamental S3 operations.

This requires some perl libs (File::IO, MIME::Base64, etc) that kamikaze doesn't have.

rhashimoto wrote:

Why not just have your workstation do the backup to S3 on every 5th day (or after every daily backup more than five days after the last offsite backup).

I might end up doing that. I'd rather not have a dependency on another box though (I'd like to get down to just having two laptops and a router)

The discussion might have continued from here.