OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: bridge of wan and port 4 on wrtg54gs v3 keeping vlan1

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I am not sure this is even possible. What I am wanting to do is configure my wrt54gs v3 like the following:

WAN          Port 4          Port 1-3
               |              |                      |
               |              |                      | 
Port 0 5--|              | ---Port 0 4 5   | 
               |-----------|                      |
            vlan1        vlan2              vlan0

Basically I need the WAN port and port 4 to be bridged and allow vlan1 to still exist and be the primary network interface. I then am going to attach an external switch to port 4 and connect something like a dmz. I need to have 2 addresses that are not natted on port 4.

My biggest goal is to be able to use qos inside of the router, I have an Asterix PBX I am setting up on the unattted addresses and need to control what is allocated to the rest of the network based on its use. Using natted address for sip makes it impossible to have more than one PBX server running and other issues. Plus one other problem I have is I need to use DHCP to get these address.

So far my experience leads me to believe that when I create the linked ports 0 4 5 on vlan2, the switch drops port 0 on vlan1 and leaves only port 5.

If there are any better suggestions or ideas as to be able to do this please let me know.

Thanks

(Last edited by pshempel on 5 Jun 2007, 19:08)

I was looking at the following topic and it seems to be what I am trying to do

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=6358

I am not sure this is correct, I will be finding out soon once I return home, but here is what I see for my network config that is needed.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

#### VLAN configuration
config switch eth0
        option vlan0    "1 2 3 5*"
        option vlan1    "0 5"
        option vlan2    "4 5"

#### Loopback configuration
config interface loopback
        option ifname   "lo"
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   127.0.0.1
        option netmask  255.0.0.0

#### LAN configuration
config interface lan
        option type     bridge
        option ifname   "eth0.0"
        option proto    static
        option ipaddr   192.168.1.1
        option netmask  255.255.255.0

#### WAN configuration
config interface        wan
        option ifname   "eth0.1"
        option proto    dhcp

#### DMZ configuration
config interface dmz
        option type     bridge
        option ifname   "eth0.2 eth0.1"

Thanks again.

OK, I had to change a few things

#### WAN configuration                                                                                                                             
        option ifname   "eth0.1"                                                                                                                   
        option proto    static                                                                                                                     
        option ipaddr   0.0.0.0                                                                                                                     

#### DMZ configuration                                                                                                                             
config interface        dmz                                                                                                                         
        option ifname   "eth0.2"                                                                                                                   
        option proto    static                                                                                                                     
        option ipaddr   0.0.0.0                                                                                                                     

#### DMZ WAN bridge configuration                                                                                                                   
config interface        wan_dmz                                                                                                                     
        option type     bridge                                                                                                                     
        option  proto   dhcp

Basic networking, can't have the vlan get an address need to place that on the bridge (brain gets stuck sometimes) .

Now the big thing is to get ebtables to work (can't load library 'libebt_802_3.so') and see if I can also to traffic shaping on the separate vlans that are attached to the bridge.

I really wanted something simple, more so than this. Basically two vlans I could control traffic over communicating over two ports at the same time.

The above configuration will work but is not as elegant as I would like it to be.

Thanks for the help so far.

Philip

(Last edited by pshempel on 7 Jun 2007, 13:59)

Strange I had to reverse the order like this:

#### DMZ WAN bridge configuration                                                                                                                   
config interface        wan_dmz                                                                                                                     
        option type     bridge                                                                                                                     
        option  proto   dhcp

#### WAN configuration                                                                                                                             
        option ifname   "eth0.1"                                                                                                                   
        option proto    static                                                                                                                     
        option ipaddr   0.0.0.0                                                                                                                     

#### DMZ configuration                                                                                                                             
config interface        dmz                                                                                                                         
        option ifname   "eth0.2"                                                                                                                   
        option proto    static                                                                                                                     
        option ipaddr   0.0.0.0

If wan_dmz was not first in the list ifconfig would complain the wan_dmz interface did not exist when starting the other interfaces wan or dmz.

I have packets flowing between the two interfaces. Only problem is that ebtables is not usable so I had to configure firewall rules on the host. None of the modules for the kernel are available and the ebtables libs are not being found. I had to symlink them into /usr/lib being that I am not sure how to tell ld.so to find them without ld.so.conf.

Also physdev is not available in a standard build of 2.4 it looks like from first glance. I could use that instead of ebtables to handle most of my configuration if it existed.
I am buying a platform (WGT634U) soon that will support 2.6 kernels and replace this router with it.

So far it seems that qos is functioning as expected. I use shorewall to manage the firewall and qos rules (Not the one in kamikaze packages, that one in broken), and it seems even without physdev I have qos working.

Thanks again for the help.

Philip

The discussion might have continued from here.