OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: ToH and newer routers

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

The ToH list doesn't seem to include any newer routers that I have been looking at such as:

D-Link:
DGL-4300
DI-724GU
DIR-655

Linksys:
WRT330N
WRT350N

Netgear:
WNR854T

I'd rather have a good router and know that I have the router I want, and push come to shove, put OpenWRT on it down the road if need be, than buy another cheap router just so I know OpenWRT will work on it and then be disappointed by the QoS performance.

Does anyone have an idea what the specs are on the above routers, or the likelihood of the above routers EVER having OpenWRT on them?

DIR-655 is a ubicom chipset and will not be supported.
WRT350N is currently a work in progress, already booting into openwrt.

I'm not familiar with the other models, but if you get the fcc id and then punch that into the fcc database you'll get detailed photos of the radio assembly, which in most cases is integrated into the board.

Thanks for your quick response!

WRT330N is Ubicom as well; I opened one up a while back.  IIRC it was a newer Ubicom chip than in the DGL-4300/4100 (a 51xx-series or something), but I doubt that makes any difference.

-=Marcus

I found this via a Google search.

First, can you provide more details about why the Ubicom chipset will not be supported.  Is it because of the difficulty and design, because you don't like them, that there is some lockdown in the chip that makes it impossible to support, etc.

The WRT350N is a piece of crap.   In fact, I've been very disappointed at the lack of quality in Linksys lately -- they used to make routers that would last forever.   Reviews everywhere seem to agree with me.

I opted to buy a DIR-655 D-Link.  Too bad it's not supported by another firmware (yet) - though hopefully soon ;-)   I don't know much about Ubicom (hence my question above).

Thanks!

mbm wrote:

DIR-655 is a ubicom chipset and will not be supported.
WRT350N is currently a work in progress, already booting into openwrt.
(clip)

The discussion might have continued from here.