OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How to add new modules

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi....

Im using OpenWRT to be my only distro in the entire network of the company that i work.

I have a version for mips and x86 ( im using kamikaze ), the thing is, i want to add modules for kernel in the main configuration and when do "make", compile it and make the ipk package for it.

Do you guys have any tips how can i make this ? Im getting lost seen so many Makefiles, hehe

Regards,

Rafael Ugolini

Short version - For modules included within the kernel source, the kernel's .config file is set to build them regardless of if the package is selected or not. When the package is selected then it will copy the modules out of the kernel and produce the ipkg files.

mbm, could you be a bit more specific on this? I hit the same problem. I need ISDN support, HFC-USB driver and some other kernel modules I'd like to build as .ipkg packages. Where are the makefiles that produce .ipkg files from kernel modules? I've looked everywhere for them but cannot find them. I'm using kamikaze.

Well, basically, with Kamikaze, module packaging is done in the files:  target/linux/generic-2.[46]/modules.mk

Arguments of the makefile templates are :

$1 Config.in symbol => BR2_KMOD_SYMBOL
$2 package name (have to match the control file) => kmod-name
$3 Files to package
$4 Specify here if the modules relie on kernel configuration symbol
$5 not used
$6 order for loading from /etc/modules.d file
$7 modules to autoload at boot time

Thanks, with some trial and error I was able to make things work. But I've hit another wall: my wl500gp doesn't seem to like the hfc_usb-based ISDN adapter. Nothing happens when I plug the thing in and out of USB. However, some other USB devices work, namely a memory stick, a wlan gizmo and an ethernet adapter. Interestigly enough, a mouse, a USB soundcard and an IR gizmo don't work. I'm using the EHCI driver.

Or maybe I should post this question in a separate thread?

The discussion might have continued from here.