OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WRTSL54GS

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2015 and 21 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

netddos wrote:

Fixed It!! Dmz Is Active! smile

Openwrt Rocks!!!! Thank You All

Hi netddos, what do you mean by this? I think DMZ should be a separate subnet, e.g. 192.168.2.x, rather than a machine in 192.168.1.x. Maybe you mean portwarding some ports to it, right?

Anyway, Openwrt definitely rocks.

rpaul wrote:

I cobbled together a set of scripts to use with my Nokia 6170
and the WRTSL54GS via usb for use with my $20 tmobile unlimited data plan, and decided
to post them here just in case they'll be of help to someone else.

Cool. Might have fit better in the other thread about MobileAP, but that's fine. Hope that you or
someone will be able to include this in Wiki at some point.

As to throughput problems, I think some of this may be due to handling of the serial port setting. For example I set flow-control and baud rate with some values that seem to work, but I do not know if they are correct. Does a USB-serial adapter with a phone even have hardware flow control? What is the best baud rate? I played around a little with 115K versus the higher 430K and it seemed like 115K was more responsive. But considering the variables of cellular data rates, it's hard to say for sure. I think with some tweaking in the PPP config file it will improve.  Consider my quicky HowTo and others as a guide rather than a Bible. It would be good to see someone take the time to delve deeper into the "Best Way".  Look forward to hearing more.

(Last edited by vincentfox on 5 Mar 2006, 17:50)

Humm..

Everything works file except when I try to download stuff via bit-torrent.

I was going to use this HDD that's connected to the router as my networked storage device (Z) and save files there on the fly.

But when I try to download stuff on device (Z), it makes "Delayed Write Failed" error.

Weirdly enough, regular downloading(via browser) to the HDD worked fine..

Anyone got an idea?

Another thing..is there a way to backup every thing of my openwrt?

That way, if I mess up somewhere in the future, I can just load the setting and not worry about it. Is it possible?

vincentfox wrote:

Cool. Might have fit better in the other thread about MobileAP, but that's fine. Hope that you or
someone will be able to include this in Wiki at some point.

Thanks, I'll go look for the thread. I was getting server err's (-500 I think) when I tried adding a wiki page.

vincentfox wrote:

As to throughput problems, I think some of this may be due to handling of the serial port setting. For example I set flow-control and baud rate with some values that seem to work, but I do not know if they are correct. Does a USB-serial adapter with a phone even have hardware flow control? What is the best baud rate? I played around a little with 115K versus the higher 430K and it seemed like 115K was more responsive. But considering the variables of cellular data rates, it's hard to say for sure. I think with some tweaking in the PPP config file it will improve.  Consider my quicky HowTo and others as a guide rather than a Bible. It would be good to see someone take the time to delve deeper into the "Best Way".  Look forward to hearing more.

I think that some USB serial adapter's have a dongle and some don't. I could see a cheap generic cable
not using hardware flow control. The cable I'm using for my Nokia 6170 is a DKU-2. I doubt there's a
dongle on it, it just looks like a direct cable and I assume the serial adapter is built into the phone.

I've tried a few 'gprs' modem scripts on my laptop (a PowerBook) and they all have the hardware
flow control flag set. As I mentioned earlier, I get much higher throughput connecting the phone
directly to the laptop.

Anyway, if I make any progress in throughput, I'll definitely post the results.

Hmmm... I just checked the Nokia site. There's a new cable available for my phone, the CA-53
which Supports USB 2.0 standard and maximum data transfer speeds. I doubt that would have much
bearing on GPRS throughput, just router/phone, but I might check it out if I see it at a decent price online.

(Last edited by rpaul on 5 Mar 2006, 19:38)

netddos wrote:

Another thing..is there a way to backup every thing of my openwrt?

That way, if I mess up somewhere in the future, I can just load the setting and not worry about it. Is it possible?

I went to wiki.openwrt.org and searched for backup.

I think you will find your answer there smile

(Last edited by vincentfox on 5 Mar 2006, 19:57)

rpaul wrote:

Thanks, I'll go look for the thread. I was getting server err's (-500 I think) when I tried adding a wiki page.

I think you need to create an account on the Wiki server and login to that first. Move cautiously if you are new to Wiki, I think I borked up one page but someone else found my mistake.

netddos wrote:

Humm..

I was going to use this HDD that's connected to the router as my networked storage device (Z) and save files there on the fly.

But when I try to download stuff on device (Z), it makes "Delayed Write Failed" error.

Anyone got an idea?

Not clear on what you are doing, and what the setup is. If you are trying to write large files using Samba to a FAT32 volume I think there were already problems outlined for that in other threads.  Turn on all the logging and debugging you can, and the problem will usually make itself apparent.  For a lot of things I think we are still in the "exploration" phase with the SL, so it may not be ready for production usage yet if that's what you are expecting. I've seen several complaints that the original Linksys firmware doesn't do very well with storage functions yet either, so at least we are not alone.

(Last edited by vincentfox on 5 Mar 2006, 20:04)

vincentfox wrote:
netddos wrote:

Humm..

Anyone got an idea?

Not clear on what you are doing, and what the setup is. If you are trying to write large files using Samba to a FAT32 volume I think there were already problems outlined for that in other threads.  Turn on all the logging and debugging you can, and the problem will usually make itself apparent.  For a lot of things I think we are still in the "exploration" phase with the SL, so it may not be ready for production usage yet if that's what you are expecting. I've seen several complaints that the original Linksys firmware doesn't do very well with storage functions yet either, so at least we are not alone.

My setup..

WRTSL54GS with openwrt installed-----------[Drive Z: HITACHI EXTERNAL HDD] attached via USB, Samba installed, accessible through windows xp clients, writeable, filesystem ext3, exhibits no "big file issue"
                                              |
                                              |
                                            /
                                          /
                                        /
                             Computer 1 (LAN2)

Let say I'm trying to download some torrent file from Computer 1 and I set my destination for file save under Drive Z. For a while, it works ok, torrent downloads like it normally would. But after a while, windows xp balloon pops up telling me that error and torrent stops...saying that the file destination is no longer reachable. But I can still access it from Computer 1...so I don't know why it is saying it isn't reachable.

(Last edited by netddos on 5 Mar 2006, 20:33)

I've gotten Kaloz firmware on my WRTSL54GS but, I need the usb-serial-pl2303 driver for my BU-303 USB GPS receiver.  It's a catch 22.  The Kaloz firmware is the only version that runs on it that I know and the ipkg for the usb-serial-pl2303 and usb-serial ipkgs requires the "-brcm-2" kernel.  Has anyone compiled the pl2303 driver for the Kaloz "SL" firmware? Or has any setup a cross-compile environment for the WRTSL54GS? Thanks - Mike (mrdvt92)

I'm struggling with the -preRC5 firmware.  I think it's an issue of the B44 changes and Kaloz thinks it's VLAN setup problems.  I hope to make some progress and have a later version of -preRC5 sorted out this week.  Probably Kaloz will beat me to the punch, it's slow going for me.  I suppose you just need to pass the right flags on the SVN command  to say what date you want. Kaloz firmware is dated Feb 5 so I guess Feb 4 source would work? I am interested in this as well as I just got a shiny new BU-353 GPS receiver. What is the 303 exactly?

I'm beginning to think I need a second SL on-hand, having only one slows down  work considerably since sometimes I need to check some behaviour of old and new firmware so I keep having to flash back and forth.

I beleive I found a fix for LAN problems on latest -preRC5, forwarded it to Kaloz for verification.
After applying my workaround, all *4* LAN ports work normally. No more dead LAN1. Woohoo!

Additional hardware note: Looks like the SL hardware maps differently from previous units:
external-port#    internal#
4                         3
3                         2
2                         1
1                         0
(CPU)                4
Internet              5

Importatant to know, when you go to change settings in /proc/switch/eth0/vlan/* directories.

(Last edited by vincentfox on 8 Mar 2006, 01:02)

vincentfox wrote:

I beleive I found a fix for LAN problems on latest -preRC5, forwarded it to Kaloz for verification.
After applying my workaround, all *4* LAN ports work normally. No more dead LAN1. Woohoo!

Additional hardware note: Looks like the SL hardware maps differently from previous units:
external-port#    internal#
4                         3
3                         2
2                         1
1                         0
(CPU)                4
Internet              5

Importatant to know, when you go to change settings in /proc/switch/eth0/vlan/* directories.

That's a great news. Please let us know when Kaloz confirms that and I hope he will provide a new image. I suspend all work on the device as I cannot make a separate VLAN.

Thanks, vincentfox

I don't know if this pertains to samba+openwrt but I'm getting delayed write failed error in windows xp machine when i try to download stuff of to the hdd connected to the router...anyone know why?

Let me guess, happens with large files but not very small ones?

Yep, I think we had a separate thread going about Samba issues. Not sure what it's all about yet. I do recall that when I switch the storage device from FAT to ext3 problems vanished.  Looks like Linksys, Tofu, and several others have Samba issues, so at least we are not alone.

vincentfox wrote:

Let me guess, happens with large files but not very small ones?

Yep, I think we had a separate thread going about Samba issues. Not sure what it's all about yet. I do recall that when I switch the storage device from FAT to ext3 problems vanished.  Looks like Linksys, Tofu, and several others have Samba issues, so at least we are not alone.

no but my fs is ext3...i was aware of this problem so i purposely formatted to ext3..

it works fine with normal system transfers...like drive D to drive Z (<---hdd attached to router)...

it just happens when i try to downlaod stuff from the NET to the networked-samba disk.

any idea?

edit: it doesn't have to be big files..i think the problem is more related to the download speed..

like..i had bt client downloading at 50KB ish and tried to download other file from http at the rate of 300KB and the error poped up.

edit2: ok everything was going ok until i execute some file (mp3) on the networked-samba disk... definitely sensitive to the stress i put it on...wtf..

edit3: downloading with default firefox client doesn't produce any errors...

(Last edited by netddos on 8 Mar 2006, 04:04)

WooHoo!

And before you ask how to upgrade, and you know who you are.....

1) Download the  openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx file using wget
2) mtd -e linux -r write openwrt-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx linux
3) Wait and let it do it's thing, don't mess with power cord.

Thanks nbd!

-e linux is unnecessary since rc4...

vincentfox wrote:

WooHoo!

Thanks nbd!

nah i just upgraded thru tftp method. tongue

it's working nicely so far...

(Last edited by netddos on 8 Mar 2006, 04:42)

vincentfox wrote:

WooHoo!

Thanks nbd!

Why aren't we using openwrt-wrtsl54gs-squashfs.bin? The name is quite confusing me.

Thanks guys.

nbd wrote:

My new snapshot at http://downloads.openwrt.org/people/nbd/whiterussian/ should work on the WRTSL54GS now...

Hi nbd, I guess that this is one of the pre RC5? Is there any documentation on a new way to setup VLAN for this device?

Thank you.

MLu wrote:

Why aren't we using openwrt-wrtsl54gs-squashfs.bin? The name is quite confusing me.

When you are flashing from command-line using mtd, you do not need the 32-bytes of header junk.
That's the only diff between most of those *.bin files, different 32-byte headers for different platforms
just so the web interface will accept it.

MLu wrote:

Is there any documentation on a new way to setup VLAN for this device?

Take a look in /proc/switch/eth0/vlan/ directory.

Note on failsafe mode:

If you are connected to LAN1 during boot, running recvudp to look for "press reset now..." to get to failsafe, you'll never see it.  It only works on LAN2, 3, & 4 with this March 8 build.

(Last edited by vincentfox on 8 Mar 2006, 06:36)