OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: How can i boost tx power?

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

TX power on which device?

Yup - I have exactly the same question. I am using wrt54g v2.
In Whiterussian I used "wl0_txpwr" variable to control the TX power level. I guess that it makes no difference if I put it in the wireless options with some value - ie. 100 - the TX power is unchanged in iwconfig. It used to change in Whiterussian.....
Where are the availale option for the wireless configuration - only these reported by "wlc" ?
https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/docs/wireless.tex is also a bit short....

Michal

(Last edited by yans on 4 Apr 2007, 00:39)

There was an option added in changeset [6567] at lease for Atheros wireless chips. Use 'option txpwr ...' in /etc/config/wireless.

(Last edited by forum2006 on 4 Apr 2007, 00:37)

should be 'option txpower'

To be honest - I guess it only works with atheros. With broadcom I can't see any difference.
iwconfig no matter what I do reports

Tx-Power:19 dBm

and signal readings from my laptop don't change....

Maybe there's some other way to change it ?

Michal

this option is only for atheros wifi

Oh - just a note - I am not sure if it is true, but I found an interesting information on the forum (http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=22875)

While from a certain point the radio chip may still feed a bit more signal to the amp and the software reports this, the amp will saturate, so in reality not much more power comes out.

I have also checked in my twin unit running White Russian that iwconfig reports the 19 dBm if tx-power as the top value. I can get lower than that but above 80 mW it will stay unchanged.

Conclusion - kamikaze runs on maximum power on wrt54g units by default. You can get any tx power level boost as long it is the maximum level;)

yans wrote:

Oh - just a note - I am not sure if it is true, but I found an interesting information on the forum (http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=22875)

While from a certain point the radio chip may still feed a bit more signal to the amp and the software reports this, the amp will saturate, so in reality not much more power comes out.

I have also checked in my twin unit running White Russian that iwconfig reports the 19 dBm if tx-power as the top value. I can get lower than that but above 80 mW it will stay unchanged.

Conclusion - kamikaze runs on maximum power on wrt54g units by default. You can get any tx power level boost as long it is the maximum level;)

Ummm, I'm switching from DD-WRT, I have a long link(7.5km) between to WRT54GSv4, one as an AP and the other as a client, when both where using DD-WRT with his already criticized 251mW of txpower, the one with the better antenna used to see the other at -80, then I switch to OpenWrt Kamikaze with his beloved 19dbm, that value decrease to -90, with also an increase in the ping response and an overall decrease in the link quality.

Yes I know the perfect solution will be to buy better antennas, unfortunately I don't have that option. So It will be wonderful to be able to increase txpower on my WRT54GSv4 with kamikaze.

Any hint on how can I do that?
Thanks in advance
Tuxerg

I have to agree some of the older Linksys units would have better reception and throughput on marginal links when boosting their power to their max.   However, cross channel interference also went up drastically when set past 80 mw. 

The wl txpwr1 is the command to set the power.  You will need the wl package.

txpwr1  Set tx power in in various units. Choose one of (default: dbm):
        -d dbm units
        -q quarter dbm units
        -m milliwatt units
Can be combined with:
        -o turn on override to disable regulatory and other limitations
Use wl txpwr -1 to restore defaults

Unless your in a really unpopulated area I would recommend an amp over boosting your Linksys and causing noise across the whole band:

http://www.provantage.com/hawking-techn … AUW02E.htm

But, I would always recommend a better antenna first.   Directional panel antenna can produce great gains at reasonable costs.  A 15dbi gain directional is WAY MORE gain than you will ever get out of amping your signal.   Even a 15 dbi omni can be had for under $70 US.  Unlike amps, antennas get a all of their gain without any distortion or noise generation in the signal, so maintaining maximum throughput is much easier this way.

Also, to get any benefit from an amp you need one at every radio.  With a high gain antenna at just the access point, every connected client benefits with both transmit and receive gain.

lschweiss wrote:

The wl txpwr1 is the command to set the power.  You will need the wl package.

wl txpwr1 seens broken in kamikaze 7.09:

root@OpenWrt:~# iwconfig wl0
wl0       IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"OpenWrt"  
          Mode:Repeater  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:12:17:1A:73:56   
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B   
          Encryption key:off
          Link Signal level:-79 dBm  Noise level:-95 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

root@OpenWrt:~# wl txpwr1
TxPower is 127 qdbm, 31.75 dbm, 1496 mW  Override is Off
root@OpenWrt:~# wl txpwr1 -m 251 -o
root@OpenWrt:~# wl txpwr1
TxPower is 96 qdbm, 24.0 dbm, 251 mW  Override is Off
root@OpenWrt:~# iwconfig wl0
wl0       IEEE 802.11-DS  ESSID:"OpenWrt"  
          Mode:Repeater  Frequency:2.437 GHz  Access Point: 00:12:17:1A:73:56   
          RTS thr:2347 B   Fragment thr:2346 B   
          Encryption key:off
          Link Signal level:-79 dBm  Noise level:-95 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:1  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

root@OpenWrt:~#
lschweiss wrote:

But, I would always recommend a better antenna first.   Directional panel antenna can produce great gains at reasonable costs.  A 15dbi gain directional is WAY MORE gain than you will ever get out of amping your signal.   Even a 15 dbi omni can be had for under $70 US.  Unlike amps, antennas get a all of their gain without any distortion or noise generation in the signal, so maintaining maximum throughput is much easier this way.

Men you don't know how much I'd love to use a good antenna, but I live in Cuba, and here is almost imposible to get one, not to tell you, that $70US are like 2 moth pay for me, but even that way I pay that if I can get my hands on one, rigth now I'm using a homemade waveguide, which aren't bad, just not good enough. I'm trying hard to find a feasible design of a directional antenna. it seens a biquad could be a good opcion.

Thanks any way.

The discussion might have continued from here.