OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Bricked? asus500gp power ledflashes every 1s after self build firmware

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

Flashed Original OpenWRT. After some trys, o.k.
Set wait on boot on.
Build my own firmware for asus 500gp.
Build process seemed to work great! (Allthough the whole toolchain took nearly 1,5 gig!)
Firmware was 3 MB but that should still match for my 8 MB flash!?

Flashed it with standard-openwrt-webif and waited 15 minutes! (Is 15 minutes enough for 3 MB, how long must I wait?)

Power off, on, since openwrt-webif did not react anymore after flash (I have screen shot of that).

Now I can't reach it anymore. The power LED flashes always slowly (1 second).
Seems to me, that this should indicate "diag-mode", doesn't it?

PC is on static IP 192.168.1.27
Asus/OpenWRT last was on 192.168.1.1

ping -t 192.168.1.1 always times out regardless wether I
* push and hold the reset button before power on many seconds
* push and hold the reset button after power on many seconds

Original Asus device discovery does not find a device
Original Asus firmware Restoration does not work (does not find a device)
Trying tftp several times after different number of "wait seconds" does not work.

What to do? Is Pin 9 on Asus 500gp my last chance?

Best regards

Thorsten

(Last edited by banane on 23 Oct 2006, 20:24)

Hi smile

Which filesystem type are you using? I had problems with jffs2, but I successfully flashed my wl500gp with a squashfs one.

banane wrote:

Original Asus device discovery does not find a device
Original Asus firmware Restoration does not work (does not find a device)
Trying tftp several times after different number of "wait seconds" does not work.

I had a similar problem, and solved it connecting the PC to the WAN port.
The IP address should be your last LAN IP address (i.e 192.168.1.1).

I had to use Asus Utility but you should not need the Discovery Tool. I never did.

I hope  it's useful.

Good luck! smile

Hi Raver!

I used sqashfs for the working and non working firmware.

Before the last flash, the asus router was configured as wlan client for my other fritz!box router. Even with WPA. And it seems that it still connects even and only with WPA! I can see it in the protocol of the fritz!box with timestamp. And I can also see in the fritz!box, that it usually gets the IP 192.168.1.1. But at the moment the protocol shows no IP for the asus anymore. My other WLAN client still shows up with IP.

I already had "bad" experience with flashing with this asus before, but it did behave better before:
1. Had original asus firmware 1.9.6.7
2. Tried to flash Standard-Openwrt-squashfs. Error. No(?) flashing Power LED ping -t 192.168.1.1 shows connection for at least one time after power cycle
3. Flashed original asus firmware 1.9.6.9.  Successfui.
4. Flashed Standard-Openwrt-squashfs again. Successfui.
5. Flashed Own firmware. Error. Power LED flashing slowly. ping does not show any connection wired or wireless anymore

What should I do now? Any ideas?

Best regards

Thorsten

I had the exact same problem.  I ended up resurecting mine with the pin 9 trick:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … p;start=45

I've flashed several versions of DD-WRT and factory firmware with success, but have yet to get a jffs version of OpenWRT to boot.

I'm about to solder up a serial port see what's going on.

Had the same problem last week. It seems that you should not use the webinterface for flashing a router as it seems to be not safe.

The discussion might have continued from here.