OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: white russian rc5 and usb audio ?

The content of this topic has been archived between 12 Apr 2018 and 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Where did you get the ALSA package from?

I added the following to my ipkg.conf as indicated in the post from superkaybee on 7/20/2006

src backports http://downloads.openwrt.org/backports/rc5
src sebek http://sokrates.mimuw.edu.pl/~sebek/openwrt/packages

they follow the whiterussian packages src and the whiterussian packages non-free src in my ipkg.conf

I then installed alsa-utils to my external hard drive and then did each step in the referenced post.

My external hard drive is mounted a /mnt/sd

I also updated /etc/profile to include the /mnt/sd/usr/bin and /mnt/sd/usr/sbin on my hard drive in the PATH and the /mnt/sd/usr/lib/ on my hard drive in LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Jim

(Last edited by obrienj on 31 Jul 2006, 23:08)

nbd,

I did a thorough check and the alsa-utils and alsa-lib came from the http://sokrates.mimuw.edu.pl/~sebek/openwrt/packages repository.

Is there a table someplace that determines what driver associates itself with a USB device? I see nothing in the log that other than acknowledging that the audio device is there.  On the other hand, when the hard disk is detected, there is detailed information about it in the log.

Also, the "snd-xxxx" modules are all loaded before the usb devices are detected. However, the alsa support is not as it is on the usb hard-drive.

But I removed the alsa support from the hard-drive and installed it normally with no change.

"lsusb" gives me the details on the audio device (vendor:type is 0d8c:0002 which is a C-Media product) but nothing else seems to know that it is attached. BTW, "lsusb" shows this as a usb 1.1 device

Since this WRTSL54GS is currently a test/development box, I would be happy to do any testing you might find appropriate. 

Jim

(Last edited by obrienj on 3 Aug 2006, 16:57)

Any closing comments on why my usb audio setup won't work on my WRTSL54GS?

Otherwise I'm off to hack the WMB54G which is a Linksys Linux based music bridge and feed it audio from one of my WRTSL54GS or WRT54G routers.

Jim

Does your sound card work if it's plugged straight into the USB port? I wonder if it's a hub problem you have.

I tried a USB2 hub ages ago, couldn't get it to work so bought a USB1 hub.

If the updated USB2 drivers won't work (and if its a matter of getting it to work - not getting it to work with USB2 speed) - switching to a USB1.1 hub should do the trick. At least it did for me. See previous posts. The C-Media audio adapter seems to be a quite common choice, so you seem to have a very comparable setup.

My problem is that I need the USB2 hub because of the external hard disk and another device that needs the USB2 speed.

And I believe that I got exactly the same behavior if the audio device iwas pluggged directly into the router but I will check again.

All of the other USB 2 devices work fine connected through the hub to the router.

The audio device works fine if connected to Linux on one of my PCs and it also works if connected through the same hub to that PC.  All of this PC work is done using Redhat 9 2.4.30.

I plan to double check all of the installations yet again especially the new USB drivers but other than that I am at a complete loss.

If it comes to a choice between the USB2 devices and audio, the audio is expendable until the USB support works.

Jim

I observed the same behaviour. Now I am running my USB2 devices at USB1.1 speed _including_ audio. Different priorities...
Unfortunately, I dont have enough time these days to try nbd's new drivers - should be so great to be back at full speed!

As I now have some time to play with the usb audio, I removed kmod-usb2, installed kmod-usb-ohci, and switched to a USB1.1 hub.

The external haard drive works sufficiently for my purposes now and...

While I no longer get pipe errors when I try to use mpg123 against a valid mp3 file, I hear a half second burst of what appears to be a bit of the music every 2-2.5 seconds and mpg123 says it is playing the file.

Should I drop the alsa support?

I also noticed a distinct need to position the audio dongle and the hard drive in a specific order on the hub or I can't logon the the WRT. The alsa support is on the hard-drive.

Anybody got any thoughts?

Regards,
Jim

P.S. I think I'm getting close

Hi, i stumbled upon this thread and am interested in getting my linksys wrt-sl54gs working with my imic usb soundcard  (version2). searching around the web shows that the imic is 'well supported' under linux (although under newer kernels and alsa).

all of the modules seem to install fine; i'm using the usb2 drivers and have it plugged directly into the back of the router. however, my imic doesn't show:

root@OpenWRT:/dev# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000 

i do get all the relevant /dev/sound, /dev/snd...

any ideas?

Hello. Does anyone knows any tutorials on installing audio for WL500GP and WhiteRussian 0.9 default install package. I cannot find it anywhere, and it seems like I will just return to my old ASUS software sad

I know I'm coming into this discussion a little late but has anyone tried the solution proposed here:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Periphe … dioAdapter

It seems to indicate an issue with the ehci-hcd kernel module which has trouble supporting USB1.1 devices on a USB2.0 HUB. I can attest to successfully using the kernel modules kindly supplied by macsat but only when the ehci-hcd module has been removed. As soon as it is inserted the playback speed in madplay increases to a point where no sound is heard from the sound card.

Can someone try compiling the ehci-hcd kernel module with the CONFIG_USB_EHCI_SPLIT_ISO set? I would be more then happy to test.

Thanks,

Matt

mattn wrote:

I know I'm coming into this discussion a little late but has anyone tried the solution proposed here:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Periphe … dioAdapter

It seems to indicate an issue with the ehci-hcd kernel module which has trouble supporting USB1.1 devices on a USB2.0 HUB. I can attest to successfully using the kernel modules kindly supplied by macsat but only when the ehci-hcd module has been removed. As soon as it is inserted the playback speed in madplay increases to a point where no sound is heard from the sound card.

Can someone try compiling the ehci-hcd kernel module with the CONFIG_USB_EHCI_SPLIT_ISO set? I would be more then happy to test.

Thanks,

Matt

Because I am also having problems is the problem with " CONFIG_USB_EHCI_SPLIT_ISO" still up to date?

I am using Gargoyle 1.3.5 + Backfire 10.3.1-RC3.
For me it is not possible to get any audio-output (alsa, oss... no chance sad)

Thank you for every helping!

i am using a usb1 hub and it works perfectly fine , never thought about using usb2 hub .

After reading your comments i wanted to buy usb audio aswell but i dont know what is the purpose of it. Can anyone tell me its purpose and where will i get that stick?

The discussion might have continued from here.