OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Can I add more storage space to my WRT54G v4?

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'd like to add a USB/IDE hard drive to my WRT54G.  Is this possible?

The reason I'd like to do this is because I'm setting up Asterisk (Open-Source PBX) and I'd like to store voicemails locally.  (eg. on a dedicated hard drive that isn't dependant on a specific computer, etc)

The Linksys WRTSL54GS (a.k.a. "the SL") has already a USB port. It would probably be simpler to buy this than to graft USB onto a plain G unit.

(Last edited by vincentfox on 13 Jun 2006, 18:20)

vincentfox wrote:

The Linksys WRTSL54GS (a.k.a. "the SL") has already a USB port. It would probably be simpler to buy this than to graft USB onto a plain G unit.

Your nerd license is revoked. Please hand in your badge at the counter. Thank you.

or the Wl-500gP (Premium) it's cheaper smile

jhu wrote:

Your nerd license is revoked. Please hand in your badge at the counter. Thank you.

Sorry officer! Oh forgive me for my sins!

sofakng,

while the USB lines are somewhere hidden between the BGA of the Broadcom CPU and the silkscreen, what about a SD mod? With 512MB, and a bitrate of about 64k/s (8KB/s) this would give you about 64Kseconds, almost one day...

Sure... I think an SD mod would work great!

Where can I get more information on this?  (is it somewhat easy to do?)

SD mod: kiel.kool.dk, and in the OpenWRT Wiki (under Customize).
Easy to do: you will have to solder 6 wires to the board - some of them in rather tricky places, you should keep your hand (and soldering iron) steady.
Not as hard as re-soldering flash or RAM chips.
You will also have to get the mmc.o driver module matching your hardware.
Which one is your hardware version?

(Last edited by stephen on 14 Jun 2006, 10:30)

Hmmm... after reading some more on this topic, it seems like SD will only provide 200 KB/s maximum transfer speed.  I'm not sure thats really sufficient (according to the Asterisk folks).  If that's true, then my only alternatives are getting another router I suppose sad

Also, I have a version 4 WRT54G (I'm pretty sure)

200kB/s is more than (audio) CD speed... I cannot see where the problem is - do you want to sample stereo @50kHz, uncompressed?!?

Oh, I was just going by what the Asterisk folks had said.  If what you're saying is true then I guess the SD card would actually work perfectly fine.  (assuming one conversation at at time [or one voicemail at a time])

Could there be other factors as to why this wouldn't work for Asterisk?

I've just installed asterisk 1.2.7.1 on my WRT54GSv4 with MMC MOD and 128MB SD card.

Asterisk work perfectly... now i'm recompiling asterisk from original source for implement new function...
if you use MSN IM. my account is junkiefr at freemail.it
I hope can help you.

How does it work for storing voicemails and such?

Everything is ok, the olny thing is the MOH , but i'ts safe copy gsm.mp3 into /tmp (Ram) and create the sym link :-)

Can anyone help me?

I'm trying to do the SD card mod to my WRT54G v4 but can't identify the left-most solder point (GPI02) in the picture below. Is it the left-most point on the PCB or the one 2mm to the right (i.e. obscured by the switch)?

http://support.warwick.net/%7Eryan/wrt54g-v4/HPIM3881.JPG

(Last edited by Polvo on 17 Aug 2006, 16:44)

In the end it was the one 2mm to the right (i.e. obscured by the switch). You can see it here from the other side of the PCB:
http://www.frontiernet.net/~beakmyn/OpenWRT%20Kimset%20Server_files/Rj45.jpg

I recommend the Netgear WGT634U.  I got one for $32 (delivered) on eBay.  I added a 512 MB USB memory stick.  I've installed asterisk on it and am configuring it tonight.  Tomorrow night I plan to give a talk about it at our local Asterisk User Group.  With the 512 MB stick, It cost$52 and will handle about 80 hours of voicemail so would handle an office of 80 people, except I think it only has enough CPU Umpff for about 5 simultaneous calls...

Hello guys,

I read the article that SD card can be add on the Linksys WRT54G v2. Now i'm using the Linksys WRT54G v5. Is it possible for me to install SD card on that board in order to extend the memory? Is it the same way how to install SD card on the WRT54G v2? If not anybody can guide me how to install SD card on the WRT54G v5.

Thank you.

where i find a howto to install these card-modul ?

Will the above instructions (http://kiel.kool.dk/) work on a wrt54gs (ver.3)?

The discussion might have continued from here.