OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Siemens SE505 v2 issues

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi!

I just bought a Siemens SE505 v2 Router. The first thing I did was to get the latest OpenWRT firmware. Unfortunately there is not much documenation. The router is considered supported in the wiki. But it just refuses the firmware. I tried uploading via Webinterface and TFTP. The web interface refuses the firmware with the message: invalid firmware. But I don't wonder about that since the original firmware has an additional header that the trx files lack. I tried to add the header using a hex editor. But still no success with the web interface.

Flashing via TFTP yielded partial success. The router booted into openwrt but it was damn slow. The webinterface hardly responded. Logging in via telnet worked but was extremely slow too. I couldn't work with it at all.

Then I tried a firmware from freifunk.net (it's based on openwrt and denoted especially for the SE505: http://212.222.128.68/sven-ola/ipkg/_se505/). And it worked just fine with both web interface and TFTP. The stability and performance is just fine with this firmware.

What should I do with the openwrt firmware to get it working with the SE505?

Thanks in advice!

Mirko

Thank you for your post.

What about the SE505's USB port? What kind of port is it? Is it a USB host? Can I plug in an usb storage?

for adding a USB-Port see http://www.klasseonline.tk -> Electronics;

if you added one, you can use usb-storage, but as the siemens has only 8MB of ram, you can't do very much at the same time.

i personally don't use the siemens because of this limitation and switched to an asus.

greetings,
andy

yes. the small amount of ram ist definitely a drawback but i got one for ~22,50 € and I think thats ok. perhaps i gonna buy something better and build a mesh or something later on..

yeah, i got mine for exactly the same price and thought i'll try it anyway - however, i was disappointed when the connection dropped every 3 hours or so because of no ram (i had to use pptp). having usb-modules loaded at the same time wasn't even possible for me!

greetings,
andy

Hey, I really wonder how to use the openwrt images. The bin images from freifunk (http://212.222.128.68/sven-ola/ipkg/_se505/) that base on openwrt are especially for the siemens se505. They managed to build a bin image. I uploaded it via the webinterface of the original siemens firmware and everthing succeeded. But I can't do this with the images from the openwrt website since they only provide the raw trx image and bin images for some other routers.

I recognized a 28-byte-header in the bin image from freifunk. My approach was to use this freifunk header with the raw trx image from openwrt. So i added it to the beginning of the trx image using a hexeditor. But unfortunately this didn't work sad Maybe there is some sort of checksum somewhere?

Any suggestions how to flash a siemens se505 v2 properly?

PS: Yes, i tried TFTP. That works only with the freifunk firmware like webupload. And btw i'm trying whiterussian rc4 because of the issues with rc5 and the se505.

ok. i managed it now. that's the way i flash a se505 (there might be better ones):

- first flash freifunk firmware (via tftp or webif)
- login to routerrun "ipkg install mtd"
- from a desktop pc: "cat <xxx.trx> | ssh root@router mtd -r write - linux"
    <xxx.trx> has to be the filename of the trx image. the router will reboot after flashing.

The discussion might have continued from here.