OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Multicast issue

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Mar 2016. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi all,

I would like to get help on the following problem:

I have a multicast source, located besides the WAN port of my WRT54GS (university LAN), and it seems not working with OpenWrt.

It used to work with stock lnksys firmware and also with ddwrt.

From ddwrt, i know that they use an "IGMP Proxy" program so that Multicast can work on client beside the router. But the IGMP Proxy they used is closed sources...:(

So, if anyone could come up with some solution to this...

By the way, this is the only problem i got with OpenWrt, otherwise I love it and thank all dev for this huge job!

Thanks,

up

+1

You can...either bridge wan and lan and use ebtables to allow only multicast through the bridge and broute other traffic.
Or - you can recompile the kernel, enable multicast router option and install igmpproxy
(or you can ask me for a precompiled WR 0.9 with the option enabled...but I use 8MB device so it's a bit too big to fit into 4MB wink)

(Last edited by gulikoza on 26 Oct 2007, 18:40)

Thank you for your assistance! I would gladly accept your proposal and use the precompiled WR 0.9. Where and how can I download it? Thanks again.

Hi, here is the image I use. It's a patched whiterussian svn (somewhere from july) with the latest broadcom wifi driver, x-wrt web extensions + all the software I normally use, including igmpproxy (and kernel multicast support). As I've said, this probably won't fit on 4MB devices, but if you need, I can throw some stuff out...
No support for this! It works for me, but if it bricks your router...though luck!

(Last edited by gulikoza on 30 Oct 2007, 17:19)

Thanks for your help, I will forward the link to this image to my friend (he has an 8MB device). He has the same problems as I do, but my device is 4MB (wrt54gl) and I would be grateful if you could optimize the firmware to fit into my 4MB.

Okay, I've trimmed it down a bit. This should fit on 4MB I guess: link

thanks a lot

Can you please post BIN image file?

Hi gulikoza, thanks for info.   

What are your firewall settings with igmp proxy?

Well, you need to allow igmp in and out and check which traffic needs to be forwarded (usually udp stream on some port for iptv services...)

The discussion might have continued from here.