OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: RC4 does not allow clients to connect when WPA enabled

The content of this topic has been archived on 8 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi, I have stock RC4 firmware installed on GS 1.1 device (nas and wl installed too). It's acting as an AP, clients get their IPs from that AP. If i disable any encryption then everything works like a charm. When I enable any encryption (WEP, any WPA...) then clients won't get IP.

I have tried to connect RC4 in client mode to RC4 in AP mode and the same happened - worked until I enabled any encryption. Only possibility of connecting anything to anything using WPA was to configure both Linksyses as AP and use WDS....

Moreover, "wifi" command does not quit after boot or "wifi down;wifi up" sequence and it keeps recreating bridge device until killed.

I used web interface as well as good old-fashioned setting by hand.

Can you point me to the right direction?

Here's my config:

wl0_afterburner=off
wl0_akm=none
wl0_antdiv=1
wl0_ap_isolate=0
wl0_auth=0
wl0_bcn=100
wl0_channel=8
wl0_closed=0
wl0_corerev=7
wl0_country=
wl0_country_code=DE
wl0_crypto=tkip
wl0_dtim=1
wl0_frag=2346
wl0_frameburst=off
wl0_gmode=1
wl0_gmode_protection=auto
wl0_hwaddr=00:12:17:E7:87:53
wl0_ifname=eth1
wl0_infra=1
wl0_key1=1234567891
wl0_key2=
wl0_key3=
wl0_key4=
wl0_key=1
wl0_lazywds=0
wl0_maclist=
wl0_macmode=disabled
wl0_mode=ap
wl0_net_mode=mixed
wl0_phytype=g
wl0_phytypes=g
wl0_plcphdr=long
wl0_radio=1
wl0_radioids=BCM2050
wl0_radius_ipaddr=
wl0_radius_key=
wl0_radius_port=1812
wl0_rate=0
wl0_rateset=default
wl0_rts=2347
wl0_ssid=wlan@test
wl0_txpwr=75
wl0_unit=0
wl0_wds=00:12:17:E7:8A:56
wl0_wep=disabled
wl0_wpa_gtk_rekey=3600
wl0_wpa_psk=abcdefghijkl

Of course, wl0_akm is set according to the requested WPA mode - i have tried psk or psk2

I get the same problem.  Setting WEP stops communication.

I'm not sure if it's valid but I was setting WEP key using iwconfig directly.

Did you install nas?

try to use static IP for your clients, .. my only hint

nottledim wrote:

I get the same problem.  Setting WEP stops communication.

I'm not sure if it's valid but I was setting WEP key using iwconfig directly.

I seem to have fixed this by running "wifi up".  I've no idea what it does but it does it.

Same problem -- thanks to the original reporter or else I would never have thought to try unsecured mode (which did work).

WRT-54G, hardware v. 1.0, standard installation of RC4 with no addons. WPA PSK. I configured everything using the web interface.

the webinterface did not install the "nas" WPA tool, no tool - no wpa

I had this same problem until I installed nas. Now everything appears to be working fine.

Indeed. Meanwhile I filed a bug that should be closed. As a neophyte OpenWrt user, I humbly suggest that the web interface provide feedback that WPA support isn't installed, so that users either can't or know they shouldn't select it. Thank you very much for the help.

yea, I had the same problem with the WPA not working. Installed NAS and ran a script. Everthing is working fine.

liquidgaia: which script did you run? I have the same problem and installed nas, but even after reconfiguring the settings it doesn't seem to work properly.

Did the original poster evrr get this sorted.

I also have 2 GS 1.1's that I am experiencing this problem on.

I have done ipkg install nas

nas is installed and running.

nvram is set - laptop sees ist as a secure access point but never connects.  With static ip's cannot ping.

Have tried all combinations... saving from Web IF, constant reboots still no joy.  Is this
a problem specific to GS1.1's i'm wondering.

Has anybody got pks/tkip working just ap to client on a GS1.1?

KR's

Mark

tosuja wrote:

Hi, I have stock RC4 firmware installed on GS 1.1 device (nas and wl installed too). It's acting as an AP, clients get their IPs from that AP. If i disable any encryption then everything works like a charm. When I enable any encryption (WEP, any WPA...) then clients won't get IP.

I have tried to connect RC4 in client mode to RC4 in AP mode and the same happened - worked until I enabled any encryption. Only possibility of connecting anything to anything using WPA was to configure both Linksyses as AP and use WDS....

Moreover, "wifi" command does not quit after boot or "wifi down;wifi up" sequence and it keeps recreating bridge device until killed.

I used web interface as well as good old-fashioned setting by hand.

Can you point me to the right direction?

Here's my config:

wl0_afterburner=off
wl0_akm=none
wl0_antdiv=1
wl0_ap_isolate=0
wl0_auth=0
wl0_bcn=100
wl0_channel=8
wl0_closed=0
wl0_corerev=7
wl0_country=
wl0_country_code=DE
wl0_crypto=tkip
wl0_dtim=1
wl0_frag=2346
wl0_frameburst=off
wl0_gmode=1
wl0_gmode_protection=auto
wl0_hwaddr=00:12:17:E7:87:53
wl0_ifname=eth1
wl0_infra=1
wl0_key1=1234567891
wl0_key2=
wl0_key3=
wl0_key4=
wl0_key=1
wl0_lazywds=0
wl0_maclist=
wl0_macmode=disabled
wl0_mode=ap
wl0_net_mode=mixed
wl0_phytype=g
wl0_phytypes=g
wl0_plcphdr=long
wl0_radio=1
wl0_radioids=BCM2050
wl0_radius_ipaddr=
wl0_radius_key=
wl0_radius_port=1812
wl0_rate=0
wl0_rateset=default
wl0_rts=2347
wl0_ssid=wlan@test
wl0_txpwr=75
wl0_unit=0
wl0_wds=00:12:17:E7:8A:56
wl0_wep=disabled
wl0_wpa_gtk_rekey=3600
wl0_wpa_psk=abcdefghijkl

Of course, wl0_akm is set according to the requested WPA mode - i have tried psk or psk2

The discussion might have continued from here.