OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WRT54G with 3G interface?

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Anybody managed to get their hands on one of these?  Looks like a standard WRT54G but with a PC card interface for 3G. In theory we could use the PC slot for a second wireless card?

http://www.pcwb.com/servlets/com.enetso … mp;userid=

Paul.

Nbd and Mr-Packet got OpenWrt working on the WRT54G3G. When you download the White Russian SVN branch and build it you have images for it. Maybe nbd will build a new snapshot with the WRT54G3G images.

The cardbus is not working yet.

(Last edited by olli_04 on 9 Nov 2005, 22:20)

I recently purchased one of these Linksys 3G units and was displeased to learn that my intended use is not currently supported by the stock firmware. I intended to use the router with my Verizon EVDO service, assuming that the router was not locked to a Vodafone card. However, if someone is able to get the cardbus working with the OpenWRT firmware, would I be wrong in assuming that the Novatel Merlin v620 card used for my Verizon EVDO account would have a good shot at working?

Also, the specifications for this unit are nowhere to be found, specifically the amount of RAM and the type of processor. I would assume these specs are similar if not slightly better than the other WRT routers offered by Linksys, but it would be nice to know what can be expected in terms of ability to flash a good sized firmware to the device.

Thanks folks!

As yet, hav'nt quite got it working.. But the answer is probably it will work, given enought time.

Hi everybody,
if it's possible to get the UMTS card to work, would it be possible to dial into the router directly using a notebook with an UMTS card? The scenario here would be an offsite engineer dialing into the router directly using UMTS and Windows dial-up to access to remote network and the router for troubleshooting. This would require the router to 1) have a phone number 2) accept the UMTS call 3) start PPP as a network access server.
I think 1) is subject to the local service provider, experiences with german cellcos would be welcome! Regarding 2) I'm not sure about how UMTS operates but if it works similar to PSTN / ISDN it should work. And finally 3) should work, since the PPP package should provide this functionality. So the only problem seems to be the hardware-support, or do I miss something here?

Thanks, Marcus

In case anyone's interested: I just got an Asus WL500g Deluxe running WhiteRussian RC5 to connect to a GPRS network, using a Sitecom USB to RS232 adaptor and a Siemens MC35iT GPRS terminal

Here's how:

root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/ppp/peers/gprs
debug
/dev/usb/tts/0 115200 modem crtscts lock
connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/gprs.chat"
defaultroute
name gprs
:
novj
noipdefault
persist
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/ppp/gprs.chat
ABORT BUSY
ABORT ERROR
ABORT "NO ANSWER"
ABORT "NO CARRIER"
ABORT "NO DIAL TONE"
ABORT "NO DIALTONE"
ABORT VOICE
TIMEOUT 5
'' at OK
at&f OK
# replace "orangeinternet" with APN name
at+cgdcont=1,"ip","orangeinternet" OK
atd*99***1#
TIMEOUT 30
CONNECT
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
web     *       web
gprs    *       gprs
root@OpenWrt:~# insmod slhc
Using /lib/modules/2.4.30/slhc.o
root@OpenWrt:~# insmod ppp_generic
Using /lib/modules/2.4.30/ppp_generic.o
root@OpenWrt:~# insmod ppp_async
Using /lib/modules/2.4.30/ppp_async.o
root@OpenWrt:~# mkdir /var/lock
root@OpenWrt:~# pppd call gprs
root@OpenWrt:~#

Of course you need the relevant packages installed. I have

chat
kmod-ppp
kmod-usb2
kmod-usb-core
kmod-usb-ohci
kmod-usb-serial
kmod-usb-serial-belkin
kmod-usb-serial-ftdi
kmod-usb-serial-mct-u232
kmod-usb-serial-pl2303
kmod-usb-serial-visor
kmod-usb-uhci
ppp

GPRS is pretty slow though - 48kbps downlink, 12kbps uplink :-(

I am also interested in the development of this feature. In specific for the OPTION globetrotter Fusion + HSDPA.

In holland t-mobile provides a flat fee unlimited data service with UMTS/GPRS/HSDPA/WLAN (making use of the card mentioned), while the competitors (vodafone and kpn) have a data limit of 1 GB.

I am not interested in the WLAN part, but UMTS/HSDPA is interesting. If the router works with the vodafone 3G card should there be any reason that other option cards would not work?

Also interesting, the wrt54g3g will also support sprint EVDO cards.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/05/spri … sb-dongle/

Basically all 3g cards should work as it is been addressed as a modem. Main diffs is with the modprobe. I know of two cards novatel 630u and the option quad with hsdpa.

modprobe usbserial vendor=0xaf0 product=0x5000        #novatel
modprobe usbserial vendor=0xaf0 product=0x6300        #option

I'm not a linux expert but found the info that the option quad card appears as USB-Modem needing PPP at  /dev/ttyUSB0.

I hope that helps to make the UMTS/3G uplink routers work as I am very interested in that.

Marcel wrote:

Basically all 3g cards should work as it is been addressed as a modem. Main diffs is with the modprobe. I know of two cards novatel 630u and the option quad with hsdpa.

modprobe usbserial vendor=0xaf0 product=0x5000        #novatel
modprobe usbserial vendor=0xaf0 product=0x6300        #option

That's very nice, but HOW can I use the modprobe command???

Jan  1 00:01:06 (none) kern.warn kernel: usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x12d1/0x1003) is not claimed by any active driver.
root@OpenWrt:~# modprobe
-ash: modprobe: not found
root@OpenWrt:~#

What's wrong?

The discussion might have continued from here.