OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: ar7 firmware - where to get?

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

hi all,

I recently bought an ASUS AAM-6020VI
it uses a TI-AR7WRD chip.

the box seems to have serious issues; first  dns query not working then now my port forwarding setting are accepted in the http front for no apparent reason. I can find any support from ASUS.

does anyone know where I can get new firmware (hoping theres something out there thatll fix this)???

also how can I login to this router from a linux box? any guides out there? I tried ssh'ing but without success.

hope someone can help me,

thanks

This is a Marvell based unit. I just sent a couple Marvells to Kaloz so maybe soon smile

I tried ssh'ing but without success.

Did you try telnet?

- DL

(Last edited by dl on 4 Nov 2005, 22:09)

thanks dl,

ive tried telnet but it just comes up as incorrect login

>
[liam@ORION ~]$ telnet 192.168.1.1
Trying 192.168.1.1...
Connected to 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1).
Escape character is '^]'.

BusyBox on (none) login: Admin
Password:
Login incorrect

about the box, how did you know it is marvell based? i couldnt find much information on this box, and am a bit of a newbie in this field. I only discovered it has an ar7wrd chip because it says so in the http config util. Any good guides out there that will help me find out what I can do with this box/ and linux based routers in general?

Is it just the way things are at the momemt that asus can release a router with a broken port forwarding interface and not even provide links to new firmware?

thanks for you help,

Liam

quantum_leaf wrote:

about the box, how did you know it is marvell based?

Just an educated guess based on the processor. A google seems to confirm it (and in GPL violation also).

Is it just the way things are at the momemt that asus can release a router with a broken port forwarding interface and not even provide links to new firmware?

SOP for these companies, and not just asus. Linksys only recently got their wls gear semi-stable. This is why I've stayed away from "consumer" gear for network deployment until I happened on OpenWrt.

BusyBox on (none) login: Admin
Password:
Login incorrect

My WL-530g lets me in with no prompt. I assume you tried the default ("admin" "admin" on my 530)?

- DL

Hi,

The manual of your asus is a standard manual of many AR7WRD devices with NSP 3.6.

Check out.

www.solwise.co.uk      model solwise dsl600ew (AR7WRD + MARVELL)
www.netcomm.com.au  model NB5plus4W (AR7WRD + MARVELL)
www.aztech.com  model DSL600EW (AR7WRD+ MARVELL)

The source code of the NB5PLUS4W can be found on Netcomm's ftp server

ftp://202.44.167.165
user: source
pass: s0urc3

I experience the same problems with DNS, proxy, port forwarding not working on my Aztech with firmware 66.xx.xx. These firmwares are based on NSP 3.6.
An older firmware 43.xx.xx based on NSP 3.3 does not have these problems.

You can try your luck with the source code of the netgear DG834G (AR7WRD + MARVELL)which has the same specs.

I noticed from the asus manual, that it does not use adam2 as it's boot loader, but PSPboot. But maybe that is a error in the manual.

You maybe want to check out my messages in the Netgear forum (AZTECH DSL600EW)

thanks to both of you for your helpful posts.

it seems ive got a lot of learning to do before I get this router going as I want it to.
Im happy to say I managed to get in on ssh, dont know what I was doing wrong before but ssh'ing the router ip and typeing the password got me in.

Im going to do some reading up about how these things work, ill check out the links yellownotblack lists. Please let me know. In addition Ive got a whole load of newbie question you might be able to help me with. If youve got answer/faq/or a reference please help.

1. my box is openwrt right? all ar7xxx chips use it?
2. given that the features on my router dont work, am I likely to be entitled to a refund? would I want that? is this a good router?
3. how dangerous would it be to flash with firmware of a similar model from another vendor?
4. the firmware file is an all in one for all components? would for instance having a different bootloader to that of the firmware being flashed likely not work?
5. can I change individial components (such as use NSP 3.3) by changing the software on the box?
6. whats the best way to move software to my box? do i need to setup NIS?
7. in talking about firmware are we talking about everything on the box at reset time? ie the entire OS?
8. how would having the source code for my boxs software help me? Am I going to have to debug the code, cross comile it for my box and move it over?
9. what actually is NSP?

sorry if these are confused newbie-esq questions. all you help is appreciated.

btw. I tried to get the source for the nb5plus4w from ftp://202.44.167.165
I could get in here without login, but there was no source code on it. just a couple of bin files. Any ideas?
would this source be ng's modifications of the openwrt source?

here is the software versions from my routers http interface:

Software Versions
Gateway           3.6.0C_1T00
ATM Driver           4.05.03.00
DSL HAL           3.02.04.00
DSL Datapump           3.02.06.00 Annex A
SAR HAL           01.07.02
PDSP Firmware           0.49
Wireless Firmware           1.6.0.24
Wireless APDK           5.7.0.6,
Boot Loader           1.2.5.9

i'll do some reading,
chears,

Liam

Funny,  if you use IE to enter the website you get indeed those 2 bin files, which seems to be a firmware of something.

But use an FTP client like smartftp and you get the source code....

Will try to answere your questions later...it is very early in the morning now.

thanks ynb,

i downloading the file src.tgz now from command prompt ftp. it's 37 Megs!!! i not quite sure how it can be so big when you router memory is so small but anyway thanks for the tips.

please get back to any of my questions that you can answer when you have time. It looks like Ill be able to answer some by reading the openwrt docs.

thanks again,

Liam

The discussion might have continued from here.