OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Remove OpenWrt - HELP

The content of this topic has been archived on 3 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi.

I was wondering if any got a hint for me:
I want to remove OpenWrt and install an other firmware, because OpenWrt is too advanced for me. I have tried the guide in the documentation:

..."dd bs=32 skip=1 if=original.bin of=original.trx
cd /tmp
wget http://www.example.org/original.trx
mtd -e linux -r write original.trx linux"...

but I have not got enought space on my router (WRT54G v2.2) for the image file.

I installed OpenWrt from Linksys' original firmware by the web-interface-firmware tool.
I have tried to enable boot_wait in OpenWrt and burn the image with tftp but without any luck (is it not possible, or am I doing something wrong?).

What is the best thing for me to do?

Thanks Ulrik

I recently installed OpenWRT WhiteRussian RC2 on my WRT54g v2.1 router and experienced tons of (self-inflicted) problems before I figured it all out.  Several times I had to reinstall original Linksys firmware and "start fresh".

One thing I don't quite grok is "boot_wait".  Mine is set to "off" in NVRAM and I've never had an issue with being able to TFTP over firmwares on boot.  Go figure.

Here is what I had to do:

1. Download the latest (4.04?) firmware from Linksys and unzip the .bin file.
2. Get TFTP running on your machine by following the docs at http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Ins … f9e8fd9d19
3. Power down then power up your router.  It should start the TFTP.

If it doesn't TFTP, you might have to power down and short the pins on the flash chip to force it.  I had to do this once or twice with stubborn firmware.   http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Tro … bbb8daacbd

This should allow you to "revert" to the Linksys firmware.  From there you can use their web interface to upload a different firmware.

-Charles

When you transfer the new firmware to openwrt, save it in the /tmp directory!!!!!  This is a ramdisk, and doesn't take up actual space in the flash memory, so you'll have plenty of room.

Also, the thing with using tftp is that there is no DHCP to assign your computer an address, so you have to manually set a static IP that will be able to talk to the router during it's boot at a temporary address.

The router will be using 192.168.1.1, so try setting your computer to 192.168.1.2

Also, if you're using WinXP on your computer, you may want to try placing a network switch of some kind between the computer and the router, as WinXP can be slow to detect and relink with the router when it comes back up.

Good luck

(Last edited by AzCowboy on 3 Sep 2005, 16:48)

chill wrote:

One thing I don't quite grok is "boot_wait".  Mine is set to "off" in NVRAM and I've never had an issue with being able to TFTP over firmwares on boot.  Go figure.

Yes, you can still use TFTP without setting boot_wait=on, but you've got about a half-second window to hit.  With boot_wait=on, the window is about three seconds or so, giving you MUCH better odds of hitting it!

Thanks a lot for your help! It worked!

Ulrik

The discussion might have continued from here.