OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: GRUB configure error: GRUB requires a working absolute objcopy

The content of this topic has been archived on 29 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

We are building openwrt rev. 10180 (has support for pc engines elix boards) on to pc engines elix3c2 board which has AMD geodesc processor. I am getting the following error.
"GRUB configure error: GRUB requires a working absolute objcopy". I also looked into latest source on openwrt development branch there are no additional changes to grub since rev. 10180.

I searched GRUB website and the net. Here is what I gather.

1. Apparently this is GRUB configure issue on AMD64 bit platforms. It is being fixed on GRUB2 development branch. What happens to GRUB legacy. I don't see any patch being developed.

2. GRUB Legacy doesn't support 64 bit. Even though AMD Geodesc is 64 bit, GRUB legacy compile will default to 32 bit.  This shouldn't be a problem.

Lot of people encountering this problem during last four years.  I can't figure after reading all the posts what is the fix. I see 2 solutions are suggested. One is to disable the GRUB configure check for the failure condition. Is that right way without side affects. In Grub bug list, a patch is listed but that doesn't seem to work for me.

I liked to know how other people are dealing with this if they are encoutering  problem. I also like to hear pcengines elix3c2 board for possible fix.

I searched openwrt website but without success.

I am new to the forum. Hence sorry beforehand if I unknowingly didn't follow any etiqutte.

Regards,

--Sreeni

Hey.

I also run into this problem when compiling trunk on Fedora 8. Everything is compiling fine under Fedora 7.
I fixed the sitzuation by commenting some lines in configure out.

- fabiand

I'm also running into this same issue... I'm trying to build 8.09 on Fedora 11. I was wondering if you know what lines you commented out to get this image to compile.

I think in my case too; on a 32 bit install it works fine on fedora 10, however its not the case with fedora 11 and fedora 12.
I know there's something wrong some where, and i have gotta fix it.

I can once again confirm this:
a.>I just copied the source tree from a fedora 12 box, using sftp, to another box which has fedora 10
b> performed make clean
c> Explicitly emptied build_dir and staging_dir
d> svn @revision 19221.
e> did a fresh make without changing a line or word anywhere.
It just works like a charm....

So possibly there have been some changes in the host tool chain which builds the target toolchain...<-- possibly a wild guess.

(Last edited by mohnkhan on 18 Jan 2010, 13:39)

The discussion might have continued from here.