OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Help to unbrick WRT-54GL

The content of this topic has been archived on 20 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I loaded OpenWrt onto a WRT54GL 1.1 and added some extra packages and ended up screwing it up to the point that although the software boots I cannot get access to it afterwards.

So I want to return it to a clean version of OpenWRT.

I have tried the Linksys method of holding the reset for 30 secs etc but that doesn't work.

What does work is that by pressing reset when dmz is lit allows me to get Telnet access to the router. But I have tried to tftp a new image to the router but tftp returns a message of being unable to get a response from the server.

So can anyone guide me in how to get the firmware reflashed onto the router when all I can do is ping and telnet into it by pressing reset after the dmz lights up (failsafe?)

Thanks

*cough* serial console *cough*

if you can get into a telnet session... just scp an image to the drive & use mtd

*cough* oops smile

Tried that but didn't see the speling mistake and assumed the worst LOL

Could you give me the actual mtd command? What's the device identifer?

I assume it's something like

mtd -write openwrt.bin -e -r <device>

ok, this might help others smile

regardless of what I have done so far I have been able to recover either to a Telnet console (and then did what TheCompWiz suggested and scp'd a new bin to /tmp and then mtd -r write /tmp/openwrt.bin linux to recover) or have been able to resurrect it using TFTP by first holding the reset button in with the power connected for 30 seconds, then running a ping -n 1000 192.168.1.1 and removing power, holding the reset button in and reapplying power and holding reset until the pc recognises that the ethernet is reconnected and then releasing the reset button. At that point TFTP uploads a new flash AS LONG AS it's a more recent version of the firmware - my copy of TFTP will not 'downgrade' to an older version.

These techniques have worked so far despite my continued attempts to brick it LOL

The discussion might have continued from here.