OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Kamikaze Question/Concern - nvram CFE default behavior

The content of this topic has been archived on 25 Feb 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I love something new but examine things carefully. smile

First, I like to always start with nvram at CFE defaults since no one can argue such a restoration isn't as repeatable a starting point as it is.  Just the way I am.  All my units have been totally safe and repeatable doing this (warning to some about the danger).

I know Kamikaze does not use nvram BUT I'm looking at this completely from what happens if I flash back to Whiterussian or some other firmware.  Could there be a problem? a surprise in store for this firmware?

It also gives a little insight to both projects.

I just compared how Whiterussian 0.9 and Kamikaze 7.06 handle an erased nvram condition and found the following differences:

il0macaddr
Whiterussian 0.9 sets this to the et0macaddr+2 calculated value.
Kamikaze 7.06 leaves it the CFE default of 00:90:4c:5f:00:2a.

lan_proto=static
lan_ifname=br0
lan_ifnames=vlan0 eth1 eth2

Kamikaze 7.06 does not set these variable at all.
I singled them out because I'm particularly concerned this may be an issue waiting for a victim under the right circumstances.

wan_device=vlan1
wan_ifname=vlan1
wan_proto=dhcp
wl0_ifname=eth1
wl0_infra=1
wl0_mode=ap
wl0_radio=1
wl0_ssid=OpenWrt

Kamikaze 7.06 does not set these variable at all.
I'm not concerned but list them here for completeness (in case anyone knows something I don't).

WRT54GS v3
The unit used for this comparison.

What is the exact behavior of Kamikaze in regards to existing nvram.  Does it completely leave it alone?

All Comments Welcomed.

(Last edited by Bill_MI on 2 Jun 2007, 16:09)

You just figured out that Kamikaze does not use nvram, therefore it does not need to set any defaults. Going back to WR would reproduce your past experiences. But...Why would you want to go back to WR?

Cisien wrote:

But...Why would you want to go back to WR?

Good point.  Actually, how about the case of trying the latest DD-WRT to see what their nvram variable count is up to?  Last I knew it was over 800 which started this policy of mine. smile

And no, I've been aware of Kamikaze's structure for awhile.

(Last edited by Bill_MI on 2 Jun 2007, 16:13)

My entire perspective has changed.  Kamikaze has now jumped the hurdle into a more mainstream release.  This raises the bar a little. smile

And congrats to the OpwnWrt team for making it happen.

The discussion might have continued from here.