OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: [FAQ] What is Kamikaze?

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

With so little information and so many rumors regarding the Kamikaze release, I figured I'd start the definitive thread to answer the basic questions and get people on the right track.

Feel free to ask questions about Kamikaze, we'll keep updating the FAQ.
Try to ask generic questions; tech support belongs in another thread.

What is Kamikaze?

Kamikaze was forked from Whiterussian years ago to provide a platform for experimental code. It integrates many new packages, updates, bug fixes and rewrites.

New platforms - https://dev.openwrt.org/wiki/platforms

Is Kamikaze really getting rid of nvram? can we add it back?

Yes. No. Let me explain -

A typical 4MB flash chip is segmented into 64k erase blocks, altering the contents of flash means erasing the entire block; these blocks are rated for 100,000 erase cycles before they wear out. To deal with this problem, the JFFS2 filesystem has a concept called wear leveling, think of it as a defragment that moves the data around so you wear out the entire space allocated to JFFS2 evenly. In contrast, NVRAM is a fixed location at the end of the flash, exactly one block in size, which means that you only have 100,000 "nvram commits" before you risk wearing out the flash. (the original firmwares would typically commit and reboot for every settings page -- but they made money selling the routers so I don't think they cared)

Moving the configuration from NVRAM to JFFS2 has allowed us to organize the configuration in a meaningful way, removing the obscure variable names and even adding comments to the config files. That's not to say that it isn't without a few drawbacks, namely the fact reflashing will wipe the filesystem and reinstall the default configs -- this seems to be the biggest concern, and understandably so. Here's what's going to happen:

* When reflashing from one Kamikaze release to the next, there will be an upgrade util to preserve your settings -- provided you reflash from within OpenWrt/Kamikaze. (currently a work in progress)
* If you reflash to Kamikaze from another firmware, or use tftp, the configuration will not be preserved, and the device will revert back to Kamikaze's defaults.

Everyone will start with the same defaults (as limited by the model) and it's assumed that you will always reflash using the upgrade util to upgrade to the next release. If for any reason you lock yourself out or want to reset to defaults, you simply reflash.

Does this mean we get the extra space from nvram?

No.

On bootup, the bootloader (CFE) will check for the existence of nvram and recreate it if the partition can't be found. So, technically you could use it, but the amount of space gained would be insignificant and any data stored there would be wiped out upon reboot.

Will there be a Kamikaze RC1?

[s]We still haven't decided what we're going to call it, but there will be Kamikaze release soon.[/s] Unfortunately I can't promise that there will be a plethora of new Kamikaze documentation to go with the new release, so we'll certainly be looking for volunteers to help us.

Kamikaze has been released as 7.06.

Is there a Quickstart guide to help people migrate to Kamikaze?

Not yet.

Why doesn't Kamikaze support the WRT54GL?

Actually it does.

The confusion seems to be the fact many newer models are based around the BCM53xx series when the 2.6 tree is labeled 47xx. Broadcom uses a System on Chip (SoC) model, integrating multiple chips into a single chip; the BCM5352 features the same CPU as a BCM4712, and also integrates the switch functionality of a BCM5325 -- the two chips found in previous models.

Is it true there's no wifi in Kamikaze?

Most Kamikaze platforms use a 2.6.x kernel, the single exception is the Broadcom, and the reason for that is the Broadcom wireless module. In short, if you want working wireless support for Broadcom you will need to use the 2.4 kernel. When the bcm43xx driver is stable it will be added to the 2.6 kernels, and the 2.4 kernel will be removed.

(Last edited by mbm on 4 Jun 2007, 00:11)

Would you provide a quick overview of the make options?  Such as 'make menuconfig' and 'make clean/distclean'.  I'm hoping to dive into kamikaze this coming week, which will certainly mean compiling quite a few times.  I noticed the build menu is much more advanced than WR, looks good. 

Which is the option to view verbose build messages?

EDIT: here's some good info: http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=9180

(Last edited by netprince on 17 May 2007, 20:18)

Q: Will the nvram block/data still exist?

I think this is the answer...

A. Yes.  Kamikaze does not change the basic bootloader (cfe?).  Since this bootloader checks and restores a corrupt nvram block this block must remain where it is.  Also, the presence and content of this nvram block is critical if the unit is ever returned to other firmware.

I'm an old hardware guy that likes memory maps.  Do some exist I missed?  I constructed what I got from discussion here for my WRT54Gv4 and WRT54GSv3 in a simple spreadsheet and wondering if they have any value besides old hardware guys. smile

I keep hearing about newer Broadcom wifi drivers being used in Kamikaze.  What benefits are there?  How did they come to be?  Is this only with the 2.6 kernel?

(Last edited by Bill_MI on 21 May 2007, 12:44)

As I have read (and understood) at one faq's answer, now nvram info is useless and kamikaze does not use it. Isn't it? But I still have a question:

Q: Is it safe to erase the whole nvram with "mtd -r erase nvram" as pointed in this thread?

A: Yes, it is. Since Kamikaze does not use any more the nvram for configuration purposes, deleting de nvram is now secure. Even more, the nvram will be set with the minimal factory defaults. (Checked in a WRT54GL v1.1)

(Last edited by ModoBasico on 18 Jul 2007, 01:23)

Regarding:

* When reflashing from one Kamikaze release to the next, there will be an upgrade util to preserve your settings -- provided you reflash from within OpenWrt/Kamikaze. (currently a work in progress)

Is this still a work in progress, or is there anything usable yet?

A second vote for this.

Actually, preserving the current settings is not as important to me as being able to upload some fresh settings at reflash time. That is, something like this:

(1) copy a .trx image to RAM
(2) copy some config files to RAM (e.g. in a tar file, or even a shar file / shell script)
(3) run something like 'mtd ...' to reflash the .trx file from (1) *and* create a fresh jffs2 partition containing the files uploaded in (2)
(4) reboot, system comes live with the uploaded settings

The reason for this is that the device may be remote, and losing the jffs2 data may also lose connectivity to the box (e.g. WPA-PSK not set, firewall rules not set to allow incoming ssh etc). At the moment my only option is to encode the WPA-PSK and other settings within the .trx file itself, using the ImageBuilder, but then every combination of settings requires an entire new .trx file.

is there an update for kamikaze? i really need to use kamikaze for wireless hotspot, is there will be wifi package in kamikaze?

(Last edited by borneoboy on 11 Oct 2007, 16:55)

Here's one I'd like to see answered...  The current Table of Hardware includes a number of models that have been discontinued, which makes it difficult to find a suitable replacement router to buy.  I think it would be great to break this up into current and discontinued models, the users here I'm sure can take care of shuffling entries are models drop off, but it would have to be up to the brave souls compiling their own firmware and the developers to make sure that new models get added.

I'm sure there are a fair number of models capable of running Kamikaze not listed, I'm hoping that those who are experimenting on new hardware will take the time to update the wiki and not just post about these things in the forums.

I have a Linksys WRT54GS V7, Vxworkskiller allready done.. I can install packages that are 2MB or less. I have wired in the SDCard Reader and 1 GB of ram ready to go. Can Kamikaze work on this router when all of this is completed? Is there anyway to utilize the sdram for flashing and or storage? This router has the SD Card Reader Mod. Just need to solder to my sd card reader. Argg this is getting some kind of frustrating. Thanks for any info.

D

JimWright wrote:

Here's one I'd like to see answered...  The current Table of Hardware includes a number of models that have been discontinued, which makes it difficult to find a suitable replacement router to buy.

that's what i was thinking. most of the supported hardware for whiterussian seems to be broadcom-based, but kamikazee doesn't seem to have working wifi on broadcom, so what's left - ar7 and atheros? but not many of those seem to be supported by kamikazee either or are out of production.

so what is a good router to buy for kamikazee use - i'd like working wifi for the 8.08 release and it won't happen with my wrt54gl or buffalo.

sej7278 wrote:

so what is a good router to buy for kamikazee use - i'd like working wifi for the 8.08 release and it won't happen with my wrt54gl or buffalo.

I have a Asus 500gp + Atheros and I'm happy with it wink

Tex.

Tex-Twil wrote:

seems to be the only one i can find too, maybe we should become open500GP instead of openWRT ?

they do seem to be a bit on the rare side, and 30-50% more expensive more than linksys/buffalo - and how do you get an atheros version - maybe the 500gp v2?

(Last edited by sej7278 on 23 Jun 2008, 15:25)

sej7278 wrote:
Tex-Twil wrote:

seems to be the only one i can find too, maybe we should become open500GP instead of openWRT ?

they do seem to be a bit on the rare side, and 30-50% more expensive more than linksys/buffalo - and how do you get an atheros version - maybe the 500gp v2?

If you want Atheros you just have to buy it and put it instead to the broadcom. I don't know much about the v2 but I don't think it is supported. There are some topics about it in the forum.

Tex

I have a openwrt Kamikaze and I want (via the command line) to find these values:

1. quality and level of signal wds
2. quality and level of each client connected appli
3. wireless networks available

E 'possible to recover these values without go down wifi connection ?

PS I have a wrt54gl

I currently have a Litestation2 and I wanted to try OpenWRT-Kamikaze 7.09 firmware. I loaded the firmware using the default GUI. Once OpenWRT installed, I wanted to upgrade to the latest revision of OpenWRT(8.09).

I was only able to find out that there are 2 files I should be looking for:

1. openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma as " kernel"
2. openwrt-atheros-root.jffs2-64k as " rootfs"

and they can be found here http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09/atheros/

but, once I SCP the files in the LiteStation2, what else should I do? what commands do I need to unwrap these files to be able to upgrade this firmware. Can anybody fill the gap for me? or perhaps direct me where I can find the answers.

thank you in advance

Hello all,

I am a WRTSL54GS/Kamikaze 7.09 user and I run Asterisk on it, besides normal router/firewall functions and Samba.
Asterisk does have a "meetme" conferencing system I want to try out, but it only runs on specific USB controllers or in the 2.6 kernel - and obviously I have none of these :-)

I really searched for this on the forums but other than advice for buying an Asus I didn't find too much... since this is related to the current release of Kamikaze I thought it would be a good place to ask, if not I am sorry and I will post in the proper place.

So, what are the known problems/unstabilities with broadcomm running on 2.6?

Pedro Prado

pedroprado wrote:

So, what are the known problems/unstabilities with broadcomm running on 2.6?

Pedro Prado

If anyone hits here - the wireless interface starts triggering hardware encryption/decryption errors and ends up resetting itself, which in turn makes you loose wireless access. Sometimes it gets back, sometimes it doesn't.

So, as the advice says - not useable for production yet (even at home). There are workarounds around the forum, but I just switched back to kernel 2.4 (and lost meetme conferencing on asterisk).

Sorry again if it is on the wrong place - I will happily delete and repost on the right place if someone tells me where...

Thanks,

Pedro Prado

Nanostation2 Kamikaze8 BackTrack4 Ubuntu9
who can these work together
what software is needed
where can I find one understandable documentation
most wiki links don't work

how can a builtin motherboard wifi be turned off
no problem on a laptop ...

Super Noob Question here...
The Current Index of snapshots  for a DIR-615 c1 contains:
A. A list of firmware's you just click on and it installs on your router in 20min
B. A list of firmware's  you telnet into your router and install in 2 hours
C. A list of firmware's that are pretty stable offer great functionality and are not too hard to install for the average techie.
thx,
E

Please help me. I am new to this field. I need to know what WRT54G versions are available on the market now.(I need to buy one). And I would also like to know if they are supported by Kamikaze. If you would be so kind please include which version of Kamikaze it supports as well.

EDit: I am sorry to be so selfish. Can you guys please point me at the right direction?

(Last edited by LeonTan on 5 Feb 2010, 11:04)

for verbose mode its "make V=99"

make kernel_menuconfig
make clean
make package/packagename
make menuconfig # Choose your Target System/Subtarget/Target Profile and select packages/features
make world
make defconfig
make package/symlinks

a typical way to start with
svn checkout first
" svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/backfire"
./scripts/feeds update
then make menuconfig and select your configuration
then make V=99
done.........
check ur backfire/bin directory for build stuff

It looks that you give lots of effort to writing the blog. It is so informative. I am appreciating your hard work. Thanks for the post

hellooow..is there an update for kamikaze?

I have read it somewhere that its a Japanese word meaning 'divine wind' and it is used to describe the action of the pilot of a war plane deliberately using his plane as a suicide bomb.

The discussion might have continued from here.