OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: NEW EXPERIMENTAL BUILD

The content of this topic has been archived between 7 Apr 2018 and 19 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

good8 wrote:

Who can post an example of the .config file?Thanks!

Which one do you mean? For the kernel? For experimental build? For the kernel the .config-file will be generated from linux.config. I don't know the locating by heart, but "find . -type f -name linux.config" from the root of your experimental-build will help.

Cheers, Sendo.

Greetings,

Sveasoft seems to descending into a deep bunker for a long stay, so I'm moving over here thanks to my affection for the GPL. OpenWRT has installed smoothly onto a couple of labrats and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm using the experimental build indicated for use with later model GS [oops, that's G] rigs. I can associate using the "wifi up" command, but am feeling a little lost as I don't seem to be able to find the familiar userspace "wl" command which my various scripts etc. use for automation. I see there's a "wlc" command available, but it does not seem to offer much in the way of state queries. Is wl temporarily missing from OpenWRT, or is the absence of "wl" a design decision and if so is it envisioned that wlc will eventually offer error counts, rssi, etc?

Thanks!

(Last edited by tetrode on 20 Apr 2005, 02:00)

tetrode wrote:

I don't seem to be able to find the familiar userspace "wl" command which my various scripts etc. use for automation. I see there's a "wlc" command available, but it does not seem to offer much in the way of state queries. Is wl temporarily missing from OpenWRT, or is the absence of "wl" a design decision and if so is it envisioned that wlc will eventually offer error counts, rssi, etc?

Thanks!

I believe there is a wl binary in the root of http://openwrt.org/downloads/experimental/ is that what you mean?

Gaz wrote:
tetrode wrote:

I don't seem to be able to find the familiar userspace "wl" command which my various scripts etc. use for automation. I see there's a "wlc" command available, but it does not seem to offer much in the way of state queries. Is wl temporarily missing from OpenWRT, or is the absence of "wl" a design decision and if so is it envisioned that wlc will eventually offer error counts, rssi, etc?

Thanks!

I believe there is a wl binary in the root of http://openwrt.org/downloads/experimental/ is that what you mean?

There's still the BCM wl.o binary module which is necessary to run the radio. The "wl" I'm thinking of is the userspace interface to the module, which provides various status reports and the ability to modify the operation of the radio, such as setting basic rate etc.

make[1]: Entering directory `/work/buildroot/package'
make[2]: Entering directory `/work/buildroot/package/openwrt'
make[3]: Entering directory `/work/buildroot/package/openwrt/libnvram'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/work/buildroot/build_mipsel/libnvram/nvram
_linux.o', needed by `/work/buildroot/build_mipsel/libnvram/libnvram.so'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory `/work/buildroot/package/openwrt/libnvram'
make[2]: *** [libnvram-compile] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/work/buildroot/package/openwrt'
make[1]: *** [openwrt-compile] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/work/buildroot/package'
make: *** [package_install] Error 2
[root@dns buildroot]#
What's wrong??

what happens if you try to extract the archive using tar -vxjf <tar.bz2-file>

thefRont wrote:

what happens if you try to extract the archive using tar -vxjf <tar.bz2-file>

Wups.  I learned that my problem wasn't with the OpenWrt site (I think) so I removed my post.

In brief, here's the rundown:

I use Konqueror as a web browser.
If I click on the experimental.tar.bz2 file and save it, I get one image.  It won't bunzip.
If I use wget, I get a different image.  This one will bunzip fine.

That's very scary to me.  I also tried getting wl (from the same directory) both ways, and the two files match.

But the problem is either in Konqueror, or in an interaction between Konqueror and the OpenWrt web server.  The problem isn't with the file.  So I thought it would be appropriate to remove my post.

Narrowband

Hello, I tried to build the experimental version from 28-May-2005.
My wrt54g v2.2 boots but the Kernel panics with
"Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel."
my kernel_args are
"root=/dev/mtdblock2 rootfstype=squashfs init=/etc/preinit noinitrd console=ttyS0,115200".

I tried the prebuild image and it works.

I just installed the experimental wrt54g-jffs2 binary provided, it went off without a hitch.  And in the first 5 minutes I've been using it, this is a winner.

To everyone who'se been involved with developing this, many thanks for your continuing great work. smile

mbm wrote:

IE you could do this:

nvram set vlan2_proto=static
nvram set vlan2_ifname="vlan2"
nvram set vlan2_ipaddr=x.x.x.x
nvram set vlan2_netmask=x.x.x.x

ifup vlan2

You'll probably want to edit S40network and add the 'ifup vlan2'

Thanks! This works fine.

Where can I go to read about how the experimental software differs from the mainstream?

I've got a Linksys WRT54GS version 1.1, so I've got to use the experimental version of the software.  However, much of the documentation revolves around the original.  Just as an example, I expect all my executables to be linked to /rom, and to make a change I just remove the link and bring in a new package.  Or something along those lines- I haven't worked out the details and that's not the point.

The point is that /rom is empty.  Except for one file, note, that says "After firstboot has been run, /rom will contain the previous (squashfs) root"  So I assume that firstboot hasn't been run and I run it.  No dice.  Firstboot has already been run.

So what gives?  Oh I'm using the jffs filesystem, not the squashfs system.  Not really sure what the advantage of one over the other is.  Maybe it's squashfs that fills /rom?  If so, maybe the note file should be different for the two versions?

Anyway, I'm thinking that this has something to do with the differences between the standard build and the experimental build but I'm not sure.  I'm happy to do some reading, but if there's a summary document that would be a better place to start than reading all the history for every thread with the word "experimental" in it.  In fact, the history is a little dangerous because things have clearly changed along the way, and some of the information is no longer accurate.

But this is meant to be a request for where I should do some work, not a complaint about the state of the documentation.  I hope it doesn't come across that way.

The experimental build *works*.  That's absolutely delightful.  I'm looking forward to tinkering with it and Im' very grateful to all of you who have helped put this on the table.

Narrowband

make[2]: Leaving directory `/work/openwrt/target/lzma'
make -C squashfs-lzma prepare
make[2]: Entering directory `/work/openwrt/target/squashfs-lzma'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `prepare'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/work/openwrt/target/squashfs-lzma'
make -C squashfs-lzma compile
make[2]: Entering directory `/work/openwrt/target/squashfs-lzma'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `compile'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/work/openwrt/target/squashfs-lzma'
make -C lzma-loader prepare
make[2]: Entering directory `/work/openwrt/target/lzma-loader'
mkdir -p /work/openwrt/dl
/work/openwrt/scripts/download.pl /work/openwrt/dl loader-0.03.tar.gz 2681e6db8e
0fe6095f6a90ad9b3f2d33 http://wl500g.dyndns.org/loader/
--09:08:36--  http://wl500g.dyndns.org/loader/loader-0.03.tar.gz
           => `-'
Resolving wl500g.dyndns.org... done.
Connecting to wl500g.dyndns.org[64.66.163.251]:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
09:08:37 ERROR 404: Not Found.

Download failed.
No more mirrors to try - giving up.
make[2]: *** [/work/openwrt/dl/loader-0.03.tar.gz] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/work/openwrt/target/lzma-loader'
make[1]: *** [lzma-loader-prepare] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/work/openwrt/target'
make: *** [target_compile] Error 2

I built the latest experimental.But the url of loader-0.03.tar.gz is invalid!Where can i find it?Thanks!!

good8 wrote:

I built the latest experimental.But the url of loader-0.03.tar.gz is invalid!Where can i find it?Thanks!!

It's working for me right now. Perhaps it was a temporary problem.

Enzo

enzo wrote:
good8 wrote:

Enzo

A temporary problem?But I cann't download the loader-0.03.tar.gz!Can you share it with me?thanks!!

good8 wrote:
enzo wrote:
good8 wrote:

Enzo

A temporary problem?But I cann't download the loader-0.03.tar.gz!Can you share it with me?thanks!!

This seems to be dyndns.org problem. The domain name is not resolved correctly.
Alternatively you could use this url: http://oleg.wl500g.info/loader/loader-0.03.tar.gz

Thanks,Oleg!I download it successfully.I will rebuilt it now!

I got the April 23 build (squashfs) running successfully on my wrt54gs v1.1.  Kudos on the expanded install docs on the wiki.  I'm not sure why the March 28 build didn't boot properly after install, but April 23 booted correctly first try.  Kudos also on retaining the settings I used on the linksys web config,
it helped me get up and running very quickly.  I've been configuring the firewalling for my needs, and that is working well.

I'm having problems with the tc utility for setting QoS.  Specifically,
  tc -s qdisc show dev vlan1
gives no output.  vlan1 should be my WAN interface according to
  nvram show | grep if

I don't seem to get any output for any of the other network interfaces either.
I've installed the kmod-sched, tc, ip, kmod-iptables-extra, and iptables-extra
packages (don't have the exact names handy right now).  I'm not exactly
sure which kernel modules need to be loaded.  Does anyone
have any advice?  Should I just load them all and see if anything works?
Should I download the wondershaper package and see
if it performs any magic?

Thanks!

I have installed an old version of the experimental build, would like to put on a new build of the experimental branch, do I do just a normal upload of the firmware will that save all the stuff I have done ???

I've downloaded last experimental build (openwrt-generic-jffs2-4MB.trx) and installed it on Buffalo WBR2-G54 without a hitch. Nice job, guys! cool

Notes:

1) I was delighted to find iptables-save/restore as a ready-made package. smile

2) Wondershaper package references sched-modules somehow. But it is not in default repositories. Shouldn't it be there for completeness?

3) I want AES & stuff for my WiFi part. So I downloaded NAS package, which was not in default repositories (I understand the reason). Maybe I am missing something and there is another way to have secure WiFi connections?

Sorry I can't report any problems --- I didn't have any. It Just Works (tm).

Thanks.

Heh. Now I have something to report. wink

My wireless was down. After some inspection it turned out that iwconfig shows empty essid. This command:

iwconfig eth1 essid MySSID

has fixed it and I was able to connect using TKIP. But this command:

iwconfig eth1 commit

fails with following message:

root@OpenWrt:~# iwconfig eth1 commit
Error for wireless request "Commit changes" (8B00) :
    SET failed on device eth1 ; Invalid argument.

Of course essid is forgotten after reboot.

Variables wl0_ssid/wl_ssid/wl_essid are all set.

Potential reason: I use nas. This is the code of S52wifi:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/wlconf eth1 up
(/usr/sbin/nas -P /tmp/nas.pid -l br0 -H 34954 -i eth1 -A -m 2 
-k mylongpassword -s MySSID -w 2 -g 3600 > /dev/null 2>&1 &)

This code worked before upgrade. Probably something changed. Am I missing something really obvious?

Thanks.

Somebody have patches to experimental build to make IMQ ??

There seems to be some hunks with the IMQ patch, I'll try to post it later in the morning as soon as I have solved these hunks.

Here comes the kernel patch (please notice that you must have these lines in your linux.config :

CONFIG_IP_NF_TARGET_IMQ=m
CONFIG_IP6_NF_TARGET_IMQ=m

The IMQ modules will be included in the kmod-iptables-extra package when compiling.

Download the kernel patch here : http://openwrt.alphacore.net/patches/ke … -imq2.diff

To have iptables support, please use this patch (the officile one does not include Makefile modification, so that libipt_IMQ is not compiled).

The libipt_IMQ modules are shipped with the iptables-extra package

http://openwrt.alphacore.net/patches/ip … enwrt.diff

I hope it works, not yet tested

These two patches can be directly included to your buildroot smile

(Last edited by RItalMan on 5 May 2005, 10:18)

Big thanx

Is the diffrent which patch number I give in the patch directory (kernel & iptables)?

(Last edited by emilus on 5 May 2005, 13:24)

Do they work ?

The discussion might have continued from here.