Adding OpenWrt support for Asus RT-AC57U v2

@alex.const,
I am uploading the "openwrt-ath79-generic-asus_rt-ac59u-v1-squashfs-factory.bin" image via tftp to my router.
After the reboot, the old official firmware remains.

• Please provide very detailed list of steps you performed
  • Make sure you're flashing only after the power LED started blinking slowly (two seconds to change state, 4 seconds for full cycle)
  • Do not reboot the router manually after flashing - it will reboot when it's finished

Appreciate the info, your second suggestion did what i needed.

Thank you!

1. Set IP Address on nic as 192.168.1.10/24
  2. Power off router
  3. Push and hold reset button
  4. Power on router
  5. Wait for slow power led blinking
  6. Execute comand "tftp 192.168.1.1 -c put ./openwrt-ath79-generic-asus_rt-ac59u-v1-squashfs-factory.bin" without errors
  7. The router reboots immediately. Without pressing a button

All steps seem correct, so I don't understand why the install process hasn't worked for you, sorry. It would be easier to figure out if you had access to the UART console, but this requires soldering and a special TTL-USB adapter so this might not be an option for you.

Hello @alex.const,

First - let me thank you (and all the other contributors) for this amazing progress! :slight_smile:
I was able to flash pre-built image on my RT-AC57U V2 (gathered the pre-flash info from post #48 too, so if that is interesting for you I can provide it to you via email).

My goal is to try to use the Asus as a second AP in mesh with my primary OpenWRT router (Netgear R7800) but it looks like the unofficial images do not include "correct" variant of wpad:

Sun Mar 27 00:09:33 2022 daemon.err wpa_supplicant[1654]: Line 8: failed to parse mode '5'.
Sun Mar 27 00:09:33 2022 daemon.err wpa_supplicant[1654]: Line 9: unknown network field 'mesh_fwding'.
Sun Mar 27 00:09:33 2022 daemon.err wpa_supplicant[1654]: Line 10: unknown network field 'mesh_rssi_threshold'.
Sun Mar 27 00:09:33 2022 daemon.err wpa_supplicant[1654]: Line 18: failed to parse network block.
Sun Mar 27 00:09:33 2022 daemon.err wpa_supplicant[1654]: Failed to read or parse configuration '/var/run/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf'.

On the Netgear I had to install wpad-mesh-openssl package, but obviously that's not an option on the Asus. Do you think it would be possible to include it in a future build or alternatively point me (and other openwrt noobs) in the right direction as to how best to achieve adding an arbitrary package to it myself?

[EDIT]

I seems that everything works if I configure the mesh to be unencrypted, which is very promising, but of course not something I want to run outside of PoC phase :wink:

I have no problems compiling the sources myself, but I'd be very grateful for a short guide on how to build it just like you have build the provided images (+ adding some custom packages).

Thanks again for all the hard work!

Hi @Gwynnarth,

I have described the options for adding packages here.
The process of building packages and images is described on the wiki:

Note: when running git or make you should understand what each command does instead of blindly copying it. The wiki often mentions extra steps without explaining what they do or if they're even needed for your use case. I will look into updating those instructions.

To just build the whole image yourself - assuming you've installed all the build tools - you need to clone my repo, cd into it, checkout the relevant tag, then run the following without comments

./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make menuconfig # this is where you can select the packages you need
make -j $(nproc) # this actually starts the build

Alternatively, as described here you can build a single package and install it as a file on the router that is running a pre-built image. Consult the wiki links I provided.

Hello everyone,

I have finally returned from a long (seems to be 5-6 weeks) break. I've been having much more responsibilities than before and needed some time off. I will resume the work very soon and will probably send the initial patch upstream this or next month. I apologize for not issuing an update in a long time.

Hi, I have 58U v2 also I saw that openwrt is not officially supported. Can you please send me the files that I need and instructions please?

Most of us recognize you are contributing code from a war zone - no apologies needed. Stay safe

1 Like

can you please help me? where can I get the image file or do I need to build from source?

edit: i have installed fedora on virtualbox but i have no idea what i am doing can you please help me or is there pre-built image for me to download?

Hi! Everything is available on the wiki: https://openwrt.org/inbox/toh/asus/rt-ac58u_v2#installing_openwrt

2 Likes

Is there an expected date for the merge of the code of these routers?

Hi Krisque!

I have just recently returned to this project (for real this time :sweat_smile:).
My plans for the following two weeks are as follows:

• integrate upstream (OpenWrt) commits in my repository
  • close some simple tasks
  • go over the code and make sure everything is done according to OpenWrt standards
  • re-test everything
  • submit patches upstream

Note that even after upstreaming the patches, if you rely on 2.4GHz (n) Wi-Fi support, you'll still have to use our unofficial images or build them from source.

3 Likes

Hi !
What's news about plans on 2 weeks?

Great work Alex.
Alex or anyone who compiled it, what's the performance with NAT? I have a TP-LInk Archer C6 and while fine as a dumb AP, it was awful when used as a router, couldn't get above 30~ mbps.

Hello everyone!

First of all, I would like to thank @alex.const and every contributor to the OpenWRT firmware for Asus RT-AC57U v2.

I am wondering what stage is the development on? And how can I be useful as an owner of Asus RT-AC57Uv2? JFYI: I have experience in software development.

1 Like

I've sent out this pull request which adds support for this device.

Like all other QCN5502 devices, 2.4GHz WiFi is not supported yet. I'm currently working on adding that support to the upstream kernel. You can follow the progress on this patchwork page.

3 Likes

@looi any news?

Thanks.

The upstream kernel patch is still under review. For now, I have added some prebuilt images and source code here which you can already run on your device. Feedback would be appreciated.